Hunting knives

Started by peternap, November 14, 2008, 12:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I got into a discussion about the perfect hunting knife (deer size game) this morning. Thought I'd see what everyone else carries.

This is a Nesmuck I made 10 years or so ago, I do the entire job with it. Love the design, George Washington Sears, had a better idea back then. Hold it blade up and it's a drop point for gutting. Blade down it's a perfect skinner.
Finger on the spine and it;s a great slicer.

For those that don't know, Sears was a writer for the predecessor of Field & Stream magazine. He used the pen name of Nesmuck, which he borrowed from one of his Native American Guides.

I also carry the same Uncle Henry Stockman folder I carry all the time.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Nice knife, Peter.

I have an Uncle Henry folder... Rancher IIRC.   And a Kommer skinning knife.  And a plethora of Swiss Army knives here and there.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

John_C

Nice job Peter.  Did you make his hatchet as well?   I once made a version of his lean-to.   At one time I had his book. It might be in a box in the attic for all I know.  I remember his story of a "Ten day tramp through the woods".  Fond reminiscing ..... thanks.

MaineRhino

A friend of mine made this one for me earlier this year. It's what I carry when hunting or guiding...

StinkerBell

peternap

John, I did forge 3 of them and none turned out out right.
MR, beautiful knife!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

This is another butcher style blade that I built to take into tree stands. The point is wide enough to help not skewering yourself if you fell.

Both of these knives are bi metal. The main part of the blade is 1095 and the edge is D2 Tool steel forge welded on. They have plenty of flex and hold an edge forever.