How to build a shed that can be moved ?

Started by cbc58, February 06, 2016, 09:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

We are looking at building a 12x16 shed this year - with plans of building a cabin at some future date.   It will have an 10' dormer on one side and French doors (5' wide) on the other.   Due to a number of factors, we may at some point want to move the shed elsewhere on the property and convert it to a guest living space.  It could require moving it up a hill, and carrying it through the woods about 125 feet. 

What would be needed to construct the shed so it can be picked up and moved ?  Rolling it won't work.  I envision an excavator picking it up with heavy duty straps and walking it to a new spot and setting it down.  Or maybe another way. 

Anyone done this or have advice on constructing it with this in mind?  Tks in advance.

rick91351

House moving companies just jack them up and roll a trailer or some bogie wheels under and hook off to some timbers and go.  You would do much the same DIY.  You can rent jacks from a lot of rental companies.  Or you look in the phone book for house movers. I had a 20 by 25 small shop moved with a house mover went so easy..... I had the foundation poured and ready they just backed it over it and let it down. Took a total of two days. First they lift it - roaded it ten miles, next day they maneuvered it into place it set and they where gone.

Mover had a brag book of huge houses and building he had done - Two that really caught my eye was a large passenger depot - from a town in Nevada to a ranch way out in the desert.  And three apartment buildings that were moved off basements and then reset on basements in Boise.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Side Bar as far as moving it through the woods.  There would have to be a road or trail swamped out anyway - just make sure it is dry and firm.  No problem....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

cbc58

Tks.  That's a good point and helps with planning ahead on where we build it so that extra expense is not incurred in making a path for moving the shed.