Quick question about transitioning from lap siding to vinyl shake siding

Started by grover, December 03, 2013, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

The subject line says a lot about what I'm doing. My idea was to use cement fiber siding at the bottom of the gable ends and vinyl siding that simulates cedar shakes on the top portion.  I was thinking of putting my corner trim and then a horizontal trim board at the top of the cement siding portion.  Then above that trim board I would start my vinyl siding continuing up to the peak. 

My question is about how to finish off the lap siding where it meets the horizontal trim, how to start the vinyl, and how to keep it all watertight.  I do have the starter strip for the vinyl siding but I'm confused and a bit worried about the water shedding issue at the trim board.  Is there a trim piece I am missing? 

akwoodchuck

If you could get your hands on a Tapco metal brake or similar for an hour or two, you can fab all your own flashing on site, whatever you need......I would at the bare minimum caulk the joint between the top lap siding panel and "belly band", although drip or z-flashing will perform way better.  Water always gets behind siding somehow, hard to avoid it, try to think like a raindrop and give it an avenue for escape if it does so.....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

flyingvan

I wanted the same effect but was worried about a few things---fire resistance in the eaves, and uneven paint fade between different materials.  Have you considered making shingles out of the same concrete siding?

This worked out well.  I had plenty of extra Hardieboard material, and was able to get the wavy bottom edge I was after
Find what you love and let it kill you.

UK4X4

I have two diferent sidings on my house and the transition is a Z flashing

presently clearly seen as its galvanised, but will paint later to blend it in

the flashing is aprox 4" x 3" x 4" as the siding is really thick

MountainDon

All I can say is that the suggestions about placing a z-flashing at the transition if there is not a continuous overlap top to bottom are quite valid. As was said think like a drop of water. Ans caulk is not a 'forever' answer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

grover

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking the flashing might be what I need.  I will have to search around a little to find the correct size for my trim board which is a 5/4 cement board type.  Plus trying to match color is going to be tough, might have to paint the part that shows. 

Flyingvan, color fade shouldn't be an issue between the 2 materials because I am already using 2 accenting colors.

UK, I am not seeing your pic.???

grover