Doing bookshelves like this?

Started by Jared Drake, March 15, 2006, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/wall_bench.html

How much weight could a person put in small bookshelves that pivoted down like this? Think there's any advantage of something like this? Or could something more practical be done? (I'm always looking for space-saving ideas)
Jared

glenn kangiser

In the underground house rule of thumb tables 2x material spanning 3'10 is probably supporting about 300+ lbs per foot.  This would depend on the side supports and everything else staying where it is put on the bench.  It should do quite well if done properly though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Parallelogram hinges would keep the top shelf from tipping as it is lowered - possibly important if it has something on it before being lowered.

I think that this would be better for an occasional use workbench in an occasional use area or kitchen where there is a shortage of room.  Books tend to be heavy and would not be moved up and down as you are the one fighting gravity as they come down.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

But Glenn, since the picture has a vice out there, surely it would be fine for books (except of course that the vice is bench mounted, and won't scatter all over the floor when it tilts)

Cute idea, though.  

I can see some uses for it when one always needs a shelf, sometimes a workspace or a desk.  And it's OK to have it facing the wall.

Billy Bob

Jared, as far as a bookshelf goes, why not just hang it permanently in the "up" position?  If you can reach the shelf to lower it, you can reach it to take the books down.  Much less work, no spilled books, etc.

I guess the design shown makes sense if you have a space critical shop, and have a bench mounted vice.  I think though that, personally, I would make the bench hinged like a drop leaf table.  If the vice were heavy enough to require permanent mounting,  I'm not sure the rig  would be sturdy enough to suit me; a four inch or larger jaw vice is going to get pounded on, eventually.  Smaller vices are generally available in the clamp on variety, which could be mounted to a drop leaf as needed.

If you want a bookshelf that uses minimal space, you could maybe let it in to an interior wall. Heck, if you had an area backing a closet, you could steal some closet shelf space and have a completely flush book case.

Fold downs are great for desks, small tables , etc.  My niece got a couple of nifty fold down tables from Ikea for her new house.

For other space saving ideas take a look at some of the arrangements used in campers.  There are some good space saving gadgets at the local building supply, too, as well as some interesting books on storage, Murphy beds, etc.

Have fun!
Bill