Remote-controlled Thermostat

Started by getwilde, March 05, 2013, 06:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getwilde

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum.

My family owns a mountain cabin.  60 years old, cozy 800 sq feet, with a stream and small waterfall beside the back deck.  We absolutely love it there. 

Our cabin is heated by propane stove, is on the grid, and sits within a cellphone service area, but has no internet access.  I'm looking for a solution that would allow me to send an SMS/text message to remotely turn up the thermostat, ahead of time, so that it's warm when we arrive.  Ideally, I'd purchase a Pay-as-you-Go SIM card through AT&T or T-Mobile or even Telestial or similar service (which should avoid any long-term mobile contract with high monthly charges, etc) If i'm envisioning this correctly, I'd be able to insert that SIM card into the controller (or thermostat itself) and plug it into the wall.

I've searched online, called all of my local home automation companies... I'm hitting dead ends.  Surely I'm not the only guy in North America who wants to do this?! Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

MountainDon

http://www.diycontrols.com/c-175-phone-thermostats.aspx?gclid=CNe10ZHZ5rUCFelaMgodzxsAFw

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08/03/cheaply-control-your-thermostat-with-a-smartphone/

http://www.smarthome.com/30416A/Venstar-ACC0433-Comfort-Call-Wireless-Thermostat-Telephone-Controller/p.aspx

That a sample of what a quick Google found for a search "control thermostat cell phone"

I never read much of the pages that came up but it seems a smartphone will do it.  But if it needs a wired phone or you can leave another cell phone up there. ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

getwilde

Thanks for the quick response, MountainDon.  All of my google searches have turned up those same (and similar) devices.  Unfortunately two of those require a landline, and the other requires internet.   :-\

There are indeed ways to replace the landline with cellular, but it requires yet another device.  (Apparently such devices are typically used as a backup for home security systems, in case the landline is cut.)  It starts to get complex pretty quickly, involving at least three devices.  And it gets expensive! Like $600+. ($200 or so feel more appropriate, but maybe that's just not realistic.   ??? )

It seems the trend is towards connecting everything to the internet -- which is great for primary residences but not so great for the occasional-use cabin.

UK4X4

Here you go

This operates contacts remotely by GSM

http://www.gsm-auto.com/

Being only relays means you can only have two set points

ie heating low anti freeze
heating high we'll be there shortly

set up two thermostats one with the baseline temp and one with the wanted temp

wire up a relay to switch bteween the two thermostats to the controler

or use the two on board channels to turn on and off each thermostat wired in paralel

I relay which switchs both simultaneously is probably safer and means no mistakes

Rob_O

Quote from: UK4X4 on March 05, 2013, 09:01:20 PM
Here you go

or use the two on board channels to turn on and off each thermostat wired in paralel

I relay which switchs both simultaneously is probably safer and means no mistakes

That's a neat little device

You wouldn't need two thermostats, just wire the built-in relay so it turns the heat "WFO" and let the timer function switch back to thermostat control after whatever time period you text to the thing. If the device fails your thermostat should work normally

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Dave Sparks

Quote from: UK4X4 on March 05, 2013, 09:01:20 PM
Here you go

Very cool!  I was going to post the unit i use from land line (ask if you want it) but this is very nice and maybe even some small mods might make it better for people running large solar heating and cooling loads during the day when clouds show up.  Thank-you!
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

I too think it is a very cool device. There is one problem with it though. Our remote property does have cell phone service BUT it is CDMA. We are in a GSM desert up there. Only one carrier, Verizon, has service and they are CDMA.  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

MountainDon

getwilde

Thank you very much. I'll have to look into those devices!
If I buy, I'll respond with my experience (if it's of interest to anyone else ?)

Dave Sparks

Did you folks see any prices on waferstar? I must be blind...
"we go where the power lines don't"

SouthernTier

Quote from: UK4X4 on March 06, 2013, 07:13:11 PM
google foo is strong with this one

://www.waferstar.com/en/GSMApplication.html

last one in the list
I'm in verizon-only land myself (and then, only with a signal repeater, or a hike up the hill).  Do they allow something like this to be connected to their network?  Because they do in fact seem to have the most extensive network, they use their leverage to to severely limit what you can connect to their network.  I thought everything actually had to say "Verizon" on it.

I'd be interested in something like this if you could do it on a prepaid basis.

getwilde

Quote from: SouthernTier on March 08, 2013, 09:03:30 AM
I'm in verizon-only land myself (and then, only with a signal repeater, or a hike up the hill).  Do they allow something like this to be connected to their network?  Because they do in fact seem to have the most extensive network, they use their leverage to to severely limit what you can connect to their network.  I thought everything actually had to say "Verizon" on it.

I'd be interested in something like this if you could do it on a prepaid basis.

Unfortunately, I don't think Verizon sells prepaid SIM cards. And if you're in a Verizon 2G/3G signal area, it's CMDA, which is incompatible with GSM devices.

UK4X4

The last one on that page is CDMA ! 8)

A sim card is just that- normally not tied to a particular phone unless your on a very fixed system

I use standard sim cards here in Colombia in USB internet dongles for transmitting data from field locations to the offices of the client

Its just a standard phone sim with data

The supplier is not involved in its usage- just as long as the system stays within its data limit

SouthernTier

CDMA (well, verizon at least) doesn't have SIM cards.  Only GSM has SIM cards.  I do have a Verizon 4G cell phone, and it has a SIM card just for the 4G connection, but as getwilde says, that doesn't work for the 2G/3G which I am sure is all I get out in the sticks.  And I don't think verizon sells those (the 4G SIM card) on their own anyway even if I had 4G out there.

Not sure if some other CDMA vendor can roam on the verizon tower or not.

UK4X4

OKYDOKY

so no sims available in the US for CDMA- being that I work in remote monitoring systems - heres an option- but does have a monthly fee
which as you won't be using it most of the time may be expencive

Verison CDMA home phone

http://www.wirefly.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=21427_5c8bad76b8784640b13f20b1dc22c06b

and add

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-CT240-01-Thermostat-Phone-Controller/dp/B001QFZ3ZK/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1363184968&sr=8-28&keywords=honeywell+aube