Rafter tails---Plumb or square?

Started by markert2523, October 28, 2012, 10:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

Simple question.  After my builder installs factory trusses, should I trim the tails plumb so the fascia is plumb?  Or should the fascia be square to the tails and at an angle.  Only one side of the cabin will need guttering.

Thanks

PEG688

Plumb , you'll want gutters some day . It looks better cut plumb as well IMO. The only rafter tails that look good cut off  square are log rafters with open soffits , and they look better if they are cut with a band saw to a finger nail profile.

But trusses or rafter tails always look better cut off plumb IMO.

G/L PEG 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Ditto!  I built using square ends and then later decided gutters would be a good idea. Much harder to do gutters later when confronted with non-plumb rafter tails.  Not that it matters now, but anyone reading this and thinking about trusses.... the manufacturer can do that much easier than you can after the fact.  Just another detail to keep in mind.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Thanks for the replies.  I think it is a great idea to have the truss company clip the ends.  They have been very helpful and generally will design anything you want and forward a drawing in a very timely manner.

operose

Might as well put up gutters from the start, then you can use all that glorious rainwater for your own devices!

collectable rainwater (gallons) = 0.5 x rainfall (inches) x area (square feet)

collectable rainwater, eastern states = 15 - 25 gallons per square foot
          collectable rainwater, central states = 10 - 20 gallons per square foot
          collectable rainwater, western states = 5 - 15 gallons per square foot

Water your plants, flush your toilets, wash the car, whatever you gotta do  :)