Sunday project...

Started by NM_Shooter, May 27, 2012, 06:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Been wanting one of these, but too cheap to buy a store bought version.

Hint : 8 RPM

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Ernest T. Bass

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

fishing_guy

Winder for making fishing rods?
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

tommytebco

Gary O

Well, Shooter, you fish, therefore, every once in awhile you need new line.
But that little contraption looks a bit odd to be something that loaded line......s-o-o-o-o, I'm guessin' it's a widget that unloads line
....or just a widget.

What do I win?
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

waterbug

It looks like a rod turner for turning a fishing rod to ensure that the epoxy covering the wraps stays level while it cures/hardens.

NM_Shooter

Pretty smart bunch of folks on this forum!  Either right on, or very astute guesses!

Yes, it is for both winding guides on a rod, and then for rotating while epoxy coating and drying. 

Here is the final version.  I'm ordering blanks tomorrow!  Making a test rod as a gift for my brother, then a couple of gift rods for my niece and nephew.  Then a nice 6wt 9' for me with Rainshadow blanks. 

I'll eventually mount this to a piece of channel track so I can slide the brackets around.  I want to do a proof of concept just clamping the brackets to my workbench first.  I am not confident that my thread tensioning setup will work right. 

peternap

Looks nice Shooter.
I hate to sound low tech but I just run the thread between the pages of a book to tension it.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

That book idea is a good idea.  Change the page to change tension! 

I ordered a crapload of components for building a couple of rods.  I got carried away and had to buy the cork inlay kit, just because it looked cool. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9EtCEuCIM

I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to integrate some thing like a turquoise ring into the grip too.  I might have to figure out how to cast some turquoise dust into resin. 

Hmmmm......

fishing_guy

I cheated a bit because I had a friend who got into it.  He built me a custom rod (ultralight) which snapped the first time I used it and tried to land a 7lb northern pike on it.  He was nice and spliced it back together and told me no more catching northerns on it.  It snapped the next fish I had on it, a 4 lb smallmouth.
I wrote off the rod, and lost touch with Dave for about 6 years because of layoffs and such.  Then somehow we ended up in the same building again.  He says, "I've been searching for the right blank for you all this time.  I just found it last week."  By the end of the month I had my 6 1/2' custom ultralight rod.  10 years later, it is still my favorite rod, beating out my Fenwick and St Croix rods.
It takes a talent to build them, and even more to have the patience to really customize them.  They will become a heirloom for sure.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 31, 2012, 05:39:40 PM
That book idea is a good idea.  Change the page to change tension! 

I ordered a crapload of components for building a couple of rods.  I got carried away and had to buy the cork inlay kit, just because it looked cool. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9EtCEuCIM

I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to integrate some thing like a turquoise ring into the grip too.  I might have to figure out how to cast some turquoise dust into resin. 

Hmmmm......

Check with some knife makers supply houses for the resin impregnated turquoise. I used it years ago to make a Nordic style knife. I think Brisa carries it.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Got the first grips "done" for now.  I was amazed at how long it took 100 grit sandpaper to get these close.  I would have liked to get a little more slender grip to these, but this test rod is for my brother.  He has big hands, so it should be just fine. 

Tomorrow I am going to mount these on the blank and mount the reel seat too.

I'm learning a lot.  Next rod is for my daughter. 

NM_Shooter

Ok.  This happens a lot to me.  I got antsy and did a dry mount.  I'll find the spine and glue this all tomorrow.  Maybe. 

Guide wrappings and trim pieces will be forest green with metallic gold trim bands.

Squirl

peternap

Looking really nice Shooter! I can't wait to see the pattern for your wraps.

NM_Shooter

Won't be anything too crazy... main overwrap will be forest green, then a metallic gold trim band and then a trim band again of forest green.  I placed and wrapped the first guide last night, and had to re-do it about three times before I got it where I wanted it.  My wrapping supports are lacking now that the grips are on. 

The upside is that I think this rod is going to be very well balanced.  It sure feels great now.

NM_Shooter

Getting close.  I've learned a bunch and my next one will be cleaner. 

I need to sign this thing, and I'll be ready to put the epoxy on.  My home made jig has some pretty severe limitations.  I may build one or two more rods and decide if this is something I want to do.  If so, I am going to buy a winding fixture. 

All in all, it turned out pretty well.  I bought a cheap IM6 blank... 44M Modulus or so, and the blank is not perfectly linear.  The tip deviates 1/8" or so.  Maybe this is common, as this is the first time I've really paid attention to the minute details of any rod. 

I may be too OCD to do this.  Or maybe that is the trait you need to build a really nice rod.  Too early to tell.