Well point water well

Started by gardensandcabins, July 08, 2011, 05:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardensandcabins

Has anybody here in NYS, put in their own shallow well with a well point?
If you have, what was the process like from beginning to end potable drinking water?
I am thinking about pounding a well point this weekend.

glenn kangiser

Not from NY but I would suggest air developing upon getting it deep enough into the aquifer.

Rocks can mess up your day.

Have you studied up and understand the process?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

gardensandcabins

As much as I could find I've watched videos, and read some on Google, and talked to a friend that put one in. He said he hit rock, and used a sledge hammer to get through it. Said he broke a few points as well.

Squirl

I can't say not too, but I didn't risk the money.  Upstate NY is generally rock, clay, rock usually in the first few feet.  I would also be cautious about the water you use.  If it is very shallow (6-20 feet) I would have it tested to make sure it is spring water.  Hell, I would have any water tested.  They sell water testing kits for around $20-$30, which would give you a good preliminary analysis.  I think official tests are only around $100.  Aquifers at that level can be very easily contaminated.  You would be surprised at what I find that people will dump in the woods.  Do you know of a spring that may run through your property?  Are you down hill or the top of the mountain?  My one property is at the peak of a mountain and would be a complete waste of time looking for a spring or pointing a well.  I don't want to dissuade you though.  Improbable is not impossible, and may work well for you. 

Speedfunk has a spring box in upstate NY.  You can find it on his 900 square foot earth berm.  I haven't seen many wells pointed outside of coastal areas.

rwanders

I assume you will get the water tested by a reputable lab BEFORE you drink or even taste it. Do not assume that because you may not have neighbors close by that the water is not contaminated. There are often water borne parasites in surface and shallow ground water that can cause long-term health problems.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Squirl

Here are a few of the drilled well requirements, which I'm not sure all apply.
http://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/nycrr/title_10/part_5/appendix_5b.htm

It may be helpful with distance offsets from where you chose to point, where your house is, etc.

gardensandcabins

Thank you very much for the replies folks, I am taking all the info in..
Yes we do have a spring running through the back of our property. The wildlife drinks out of it.
Our property is flat and wooded, until you get back to the spring, and then it's a big sloping hill down to it. Steep enough to need a rope to hang onto so you don't fall on your but getting down to it.

Squirl

Almost 100% of wildlife has parasites and short life expectancies.  I would still use caution.  It sounds like you might be able to point a pipe into it if you know where it runs underground on your property.

Davegmc

My brother had a well point in his backyard (Western Washington) that went down about 25 feet thru pure sand. Some of his neighbors also successfully used them. But they were all used for irrigation and lawn watering, not drinking water.