Needing some tips

Started by StinkerBell, April 28, 2011, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on May 06, 2011, 11:07:04 AM
 Now I have to plant shrubs and other vegetation to help diguise/hide Lady Steelia from the neighbors.  

Here's a tip for you. I use Nitric acid to make Aquafortis. It's a stain for rifle stocks.
Recently I needed to make Nitrated Cotton (Gun Cotton) for a Doc I am doing. This discussion was with a Pyri Tech who was telling me how to make it and giving savety tips.

Read the last part of my last post to help with your neighbors. ;D

QuoteNightHawkInLight wrote:
Nitric acid is a little hard to come by and expensive nowadays. A few gallons is a nice thing to have. It's not flammable, but it is capable of nitrating many materials which can make them flamable, and often dangerous. Fortunately, nitrocellulose is fairly safe.

To answer your question: Yes, you can use your nitric acid rather than sulfuric and potassium nitrate. You will want to dilute the nitric acid about 50/50 by volume with concentrated sulfuric acid though or the reaction will progress too quickly and cause what is called a runaway. In a runaway the cotton will start pouring out a poisonous red nitrogen gas that will turn back into nitric acid when it contacts the water in your lungs. Obviously that's not something you want to happen, so if you see red gas, carefully drop the reaction tray in water without splashing yourself or get out of the area and let it wear itself out. Don't breath any of it. I would only do this experiment if you live in an area where you can be confident that your neighbors are far enough away to not get any of the acid vapor coming their way.

That's why it's called "Red Fuming Acid" :lol: I get the same result when I dissolve iron in it. That's how the Aqua Fortis is made. When you paint the wood with the mixture and run a hot iron from the forge near it, it gives the reddish tone to the wood that accents the black grain in striped Maple...anyway, I know to stay upwind.

Just watched the Christmas Light Match Video. What voltage are you using to set it off?

By the way, those are some great videos....Thanks!

Report this post
Profile Send private message  
Edit post Reply with quote  
NightHawkInLight    
Post subject: Re: Fireworks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I was just using a AA battery for the christmas light ignitors. They don't take much. Glad my videos could be of service :)

Report this post
rustycase    
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 am

:lol:

'pouring out a poisonous red nitrogen gas'

...there's definitely some things I'd rather ask abt FIRST, before goofing up while blundering things on my own!

Best
rc

Report this post
peter nap    
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 am

rustycase wrote:

'pouring out a poisonous red nitrogen gas'

...there's definitely some things I'd rather ask abt FIRST, before goofing up while blundering things on my own!

Best
rc

Read this part Stinker
There are some advantages to working with it. If I had neighbors, which I don't...and if I didn't like the neighbors, it would be a good way to keep them indoors. :lol:

I use a very diluted mixture to etch the Damascus blades I forge:
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

hehehehehehe Thanks Peter!