Freeze dried foods.

Started by StinkerBell, April 19, 2011, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

I have been testing freeze dried foods the past year or so now. Mountain house seems to be the one our family likes overall. Not bad at all. However this last month I am unable to purchase the big 10# can's and the prices have jumped from 10-20%. There is also a waiting list at many places. I ca still pick up a few here or there but I will not pay the outrageous shipping rates along with the new higher prices.

I generally buy this stuff on Amazon. Free shipping and Tax free.

Just wanted to pass this on. I am seeing a shortage and a price jump.

Do to a bad expereince with my freezer a few years back I no longer depend on anything that needs to be maintained by power.

MountainDon

Solar power and batteries required.... :)

and I agree on MH being the best; though I can't say I'd look forward to eating it long term.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Woodsrule

For freeze-dried fruit, I find Honeyville Grain the best. Their strawberries are the tastiest I have had and the blueberries are not bad either. An added bonus - buy today and get fresh fruit 25 years from now at today's prices. A good investment at the least.

peternap

Maybe I shouldn't tell this but......

When I was growing up, the old folks dried apples on a sheet on the tin roof of the house. They stored them in gallon size pickle jars.
They called them "Snits".

My Grandparents moved from the homeplace when I was about 10 and when they moved took a jar of those snits with them and kept them in the attic.

I would sneak a few from time to time and ate them for 11 or 12 years.
Apparently they stayed good all those years because I never got sick.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sassy

Sounds good, Peter... 

I dried a bunch of peaches & plums last summer in our uphill patio - they turned out great!  I'm hoping to dry apricots this year...  last year there were quite a few on the trees but the stupid ants got into a lot of fruit & ate the insides out -  >:(  They were the best apricots, too.

Glenn put up some 2x4's & made me some stainless steel screen trays - he put glass a few inches above to keep stuff from getting on the fruit - the uphill patio (greenhouse) already has glass & it gets pretty hot - did a wonderful job of drying fruit in 2-3 days.  I didn't sulfur the fruit, just put some lemon juice on it.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free