Wood interior Pro's and Con's

Started by RayN, October 12, 2005, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayN

I was wondering what the pro's and con's of doing a t&g finished wall instead of 1/2 sheetrock.  

There is a local sawmill so the price of the wood should be about twice that of sheetrock if my calculations are correct.  I'm thinking my labor would be about the same,  but cutting wood is much more fun than sanding compound.  

A combo of wood cathedral ceiling and sheetrock walls are also a possibility.  What have others found about wood interiors I should know about?

Thanks

Daddymem

Here are some pictures from the FirstDay site showing their wood interiors with same construction you are talking about.
http://www.firstdaycottage.com/pictures/interior.html

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Jimmy C.

I think there might be a trade off..

I could be wrong.

A wooden t&g wall or ceiling.  

Very Flammable

Flame resistant sheet rock wall.

But, if you paint it. There goes the flame resistance
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Dan

I have a friend whose cabin is full pine t&g walls and ceilings.  Very pretty.  He also has pine floors and kitchen cabinets.  Personally, I think it is too much, but get better as more decorations/wall hangings are put up.  The obvious con is the double the price bit, but the finish work can be almost as much work as drywall.  I've also thought of hoizontal t&g walls with drywall ceiling and box beams for that faux log cabin feeling.

glenn kangiser

90 percent of my cabin is wood with a little earth plaster.  If I burn up in it at least I'll die happy - with the exception of the slow agonizing death-- other than that, I always have to come back to this--

"When I began to have a fire at evening, before I plastered my house, the chimney carried smoke particularly well, because of the numerous chinks between the boards. Yet I passed some cheerful evenings in that cool and airy apartment, surrounded by the rough brown boards full of knots, and rafters with the bark on high overhead. My house never pleased my eye so much after it was plastered, though I was obliged to confess that it was more comfortable. "  from  
Walden: House-Warming
by Henry D. Thoreau

I do have a bunch of sprinklers to put in one of these days though. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

keyholefarmhouse

some homes with a lot of wood interiors attract or hold more insects.  In our area we have alot of pine beetles that seem to house in walls.  Not sure if they do or not.  Also, common house flies seem to do better.  Then, this is more contingent on them getting inside.  (animals or manure)  This said, my personal preference is a combination of both.  Wood floors, ceilings, or wainscoat are really highlighted by some drywall or plaster.  Plaster really is my favorite.
Catch nine pounders

Billy Bob

Wouldn't t&g add quite a bit to the structural rigidity?
I'm thinking, when you say local sawmill, this'd be the "real McCoy", and not the flimsy decor grade I've seen in home improvement stores.
I'm with keyholefarmhouse on the combination effect.  I like wood, but too much is.
Jeez, I just thought, a nice wainscoting would help cut down the evidence of my lousy taping ability! ;D
Bill

Daddymem

One thought I had was..since the T&G can come with a smooth and rough side, place the rough side out for the first few feet, stain that, then clear poly the upper portion installed smooth side out.  You would also benefit with dings being less visable too.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Micky

I think hanging, taping and sanding sheetrock over head is miserable.  Especially on a large cathedral ceiling.  The extra cost of material is worth it to avoid the extra sore back and lungs full of dust.

I am going to do smooth T&G on the lid and sheetrock the wall.  I like the contrast of wood floors, nicely painted walls with wood trim, and a wood ceiling.

saxfordalaska

I'm a believer in sheetrock behind 3/4 t+g, (so are fire marshals).  the good news is you only have to fire tape (one coat).  My buddy in an Alaskan bush village, where good tapers are scarce, has a slick system where he runs 1x4 on the untapered edges of the rock (staggered 8 ft. sheets, every four feet) and the corners.  The tapered edges aren't hard to finish.  You get a nice wood feel, bright cieling (a big plus during long dark winters up here), and a fire rating.  It's already saved some lives.