DIY Septic?

Started by retiredmarine, December 10, 2018, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredmarine

Ok anyone ever seen one of these in operation? If not, I'll take opinions.  https://m.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Don_P

Similar but steel drums, found it when it backed up and I was walking in my BIL's yard looking for it. This from the writer of that piece
'This is a quick simple system that is probably not acceptable for permanent use in most states. If discovered, the property owner and/or the installer will be fined." Check with your health dept for what you need and then do what you want of that work. It is cheaper and much easier for me to have a local guy do it but ymmv.

NathanS

Yeah, the problem is that there aren't many areas where you can still do your own septic without breaking the law.

That said, if your dirt percs appropriately there is no reason that system wouldn't work.

Every state and county will be different, but in NYS state when you go to apply for a building permit they care more about the engineered septic plans than the house plans.

If I had the time to dig by hand, or had an excavator, I would have been allowed to install the septic myself and then have the engineer or town representative look at the system and sign off on it. The septic design itself cost me $500.

retiredmarine

I think I'll stick with composting.

hpinson

I've seen them, and built given this general guideline, and provided you have a quite low volume of septage, they work ok.  Will quickly be overwhelmed by any volume though -- long showers, large family, etc. 
Would be good for a very small cabin on a budget that does not see much use, and provided no one is looking over your shoulder, because building depts. are going to have a problem with this.

I can't think of anywhere in the US where you could get a permit for one, and if subsequent construction is dependent on permitted septic, it would be trouble.  Lots of these around though.

A real problem waiting to be solved is that a small lightly used cabin may not generate enough discharge to keep even the smallest legal septic system working as designed.

Adam Roby

My cabin has no plumbing in or out, so a toilet might get 12 flushes in a full year. 
The current minimum size for a septic tank in NY state is 1000 gallons. 
There's no way I could ever fill such a tank, nor keep it healthy.
I am considering something similar to this, but possibly connected to an outhouse instead of the main building.
Already I think the outhouse is no longer tolerated, but I may try to sneak one in as a shed.  Having a flush toilet, even if you have to walk a bit into the woods have its benefits.  On the same token, you don't want to mess with the environmental people...  proceed at your own risk.

Don_P

Times do change. During the WPA era there was a poster of an outhouse, the caption read something like "every modern house should have one". They had done studies and found that the hookworm could travel about 6' maximum. Many country folk were barefoot and the facilities were simply to wander out behind the barn. The stereotypical slow gaunt country people, they were sick. The outhouse put that worm out of reach.

I've had C diff and other bacterial blights over the years that I wouldn't want a fly from the outhouse to bring back to the table, another vector. DEQ and the health department can be a pain to deal with but the human condition can be pretty miserable when left to our own devices.

I got plans from the health dept back in the day. We used to keep a bucket of ashes in our little shack out back. The sign over it read "If you tinkle add a sprinkle, if you poop add a scoop".

NathanS

NYS might actually have an outhouse exemption, I think if there is no running water in the house they're allowed.

The Amish get away with a lot of stuff up here.

SouthernTier

I got an outhouse permit in Cattaraugus County for use before I started the cabin.  Well, put it this way, I filled out a permit application for one after visiting their office and they cashed my check.  I saved the cashed check as my "permit".

For the cabin, though, the county actually specified the design of the septic I had to follow.  It varies county to county.

JRR

If one googles "1000 gallon plastic septic tank" ... he will find some info about available tanks that might be more pleasing to the authorities.   ...And for about $1k plus shipping and taxes.