tree house plans or ideas

Started by backattheshack, March 13, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backattheshack

we have a large cedar tree about 80 feet tall 36" across at base my son wants to build a tree house any ideas about how to attach floor to the, tree walls and roof no problem just little unsure on base should i use some big lags? cables etc.just want plenty of support.

considerations

I don't know about attaching dead wood to a living tree....the tree keeps growing, the lumber doesn't.  An octagonal tree house built around the trunk gets me thinking though.  Probably not what you were fishing for.

backattheshack

benn surfing the web you think you could find a simple tree house design using one tree   d*everyone i find has the word architects or designer in the title and big $$$ parts ...lol

MountainDon

Cut the tree down, saw some lumber and build a playhouse.   [crz]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

backattheshack

Quote from: MountainDon on March 13, 2011, 10:52:13 PM
Cut the tree down, saw some lumber and build a playhouse.   [crz]

that was first thought lol but little man showed so much intrest drug all kinds of left over scraps out to it i figured heck we will build something

MountainDon

For fastening things to the tree use lag screws, drill shank size holes through the member to be fastened onto the tree and drill proper size pilot holes in the tree. Do not use cables, ropes etc in any manner that can result in girdling (killing) a branch or the tree. Through bolts are alright too. If you need to fasten a cable/rope, use an eyebolt or eye lag. 

Tree houses squeek.

Don't fall out/down.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Erin

25 years ago my dad built THE treehouse.    [cool]

It was basically a 6'x8' deck with the support girders bolted to the trunks of three mature junipers and the fourth corner was a telephone pole.  
The girders were lagged to all three trees as well as the telephone pole.  
I would think something similar could be done with a few modifications to be branches rather than individual trees, but I have to wonder if it would be as strong...?

Dad built a standard deck with 2x4 framed walls.  A tin shed roof, windows out of an old barn and a door.  It was three season.  
The house itself was 6x6 with a small 2' porch on the front that the ladder went up to.  

My cousins and I often reminisce about camping up there.  There was even one year when all six of us older kids (13 down to 6)  were there at the same time and all squeezed in on the floor.  It was very cozy.  ;)

Twenty five years later, my own kids absolutely LOVE "Grandpa's Treehouse."  

Don't be dissuaded!  Playhouses are for wienies with no sense of adventure!
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

desimulacra

I have built tree houses all my life. Now in my fifties I call them hunting blinds  :). I seldom use the actual trees any more as they cause problems. If you use a tree the house will seldom/never last as long. I can't think of a blind that lasted more than ten years. The three main reasons are the tree grows, the tree dies (sometimes because of damage caused by building) the tree will sway in the wind All these reasons cause strains and fastener failures or total collapse. Usually use treated posts set in gravel. I like to position the house close to trees which make it seem like a "treehouse". Put on a good roof with at least 6" overhang. You could even built a porch to the tree.  I have built one that my kids enjoyed and as soon as their kids are old enough they will too. You can make the house as short or tall as you wish. I have a friend who has one set at 25' and another who used posts but the tree is inside the house with a hole cut out for it.
Dunno if any of that helps, good luck c*
West Tennessee

Squirl

I have seen many in the books at my local library.  There was one I liked called "Rustic Retreats: A Build-It-Yourself Guide".  IIRC it had a few tree house designs I liked.  Many design books I have seen use the tree as a post and additional posts on the extended area.  Almost all call for lag bolts, and most call for some type of cross bracing. 

fistbump

I grounded my kids tree house with 10 foot 6'' by 6''. You  can make a much more secure ladder and one that they can't draw up when they want to. I still attached it to the tree with lag bolts.
Find real estate for your cabin.