Insulate

Started by rakuz66, August 08, 2008, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakuz66

Is it worthwhile to insulate underneath the floor of a cabin that's built on post and beams? ???   Or would skirting be more appropriate ???

ScottA

Depends. I'm going to insulate mine. If you don't insulate the floor you should insulate the skirting to create a conditioned crawl space. If you're not using A/C then it's not important unless you have a real cold climate.

MountainDon

Yep... "depends".

Unless the climate was mild I'd think it well worth insulating. And it depends on how, when and how often the structure is being used.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TheWire

I'm insulating mine by putting 1" T&G 150 psi rigid foam over my subfloor then 5/8" plywood over that.  I put a double bottom plate in to accommodate this.

I put a pressure treated subfloor in because I built the foundation and first floor deck last fall then started back up this spring.  I also wanted to make sure the crawl space moisture didn't rot my floor from underneath.  I don't, however, want the PT wood exposed to the inside and my insulation method will take care of that.  It's also critter proof.

Jerry

dogneck

I am new and interested in the value of the rigid t&G foam over the subfloor.   I am doing a 14x24ft addition to the rear of my house.  12'x12' was an old patio,  I removed the patio slate,  that leaves a sand filled base.  I didn't want to hammer out the stone wall and remove all the sand.  Also it holds up the balance of the patio which is being left in place.    I don't know how to insulate this area.   The rest of the building has a crawl space of 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 ft.     Maybe the best thing would be for me to do the t&g rigid form board over the whole thing.    I have pressue treated 2x12 floor joists.    Will that work?  or is there some other insulation that I could use in that old patio area.  I'm placing black vapor barrier on the whole ground, including the old patio.

rakuz66

So, if I'm hearing everyone correctly, if I only use the camp sporadically, (8-10 ) times a yr, it's not worth it to insulate, but skirting may be better. 

glenn kangiser

I think that would be a good conclusion.  I am currently working on a house where the rodents - critters have had their way with the insulation - so the skirting would be of more use if not there often and you don't want to rodent proof the insulation.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.