dealing with unsolicited criticism

Started by Jeff922, April 30, 2010, 09:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff922

Thanks MaineRhino.  I'm a little jaded about contractors because I've dealt with two who have given me a hard time about how I'm doing things.  I very much attribute this to insecurity (both youngish guys):   "who does this guy think he is just doing it himself?"  Oh well, just gotta ignore it.  A few bad apples.  I love the whole area and so many people I've meet are sooo cool.  I've had three people offer me a place to stay or to get a hot shower when needed.  People up there really understand the idea of helping neighbors.

Siding is gonna be cedar shingles - weathered natral patina.  Probably a brightly colored "cottage" trim.  I'm sure a purist will stick his/her nose in the air about my vinyl-clad windows, but I'm not made of money.  I'm doing this myself because, like a lot of people, it's THE ONLY option.  I certainly cannot afford to pay contractors.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

rocking23nf

dont worry about it, if you like it, who cares about anyone else. 

OkieJohn2

You're building a functional living space for now, not faking an antique and you have made some really smart choices.
As far as being jaded on contractors, just watch any episode of "Holmes on Homes" ;D.
Case in point, there is a mechanical contrator here that used to have the reputation for the best in town, but dad retired and son took over, decided to work on the bottom line, ended up loosing most of the long term employees and hired new, inexperienced and cheaper labor.  No longer the respected contractor in town.
When it comes time to paint the trim, might I suggest you invest in some cheap samples of the ugliest colors you can find and do a test.  Dayglo is good, and don't forget chartruese and purple. 
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

wcofield

If it was that easy to do, they would have designed and built their house.  In building and business, stay away from the naysayers.  There is plenty of second guessing of your own to deal with much less even considering an opinion of someone that has nothing invested in your building.

NOTE: Country wisdom has it that opinions are like rear ends (slightly modified language). Everyone has one and everyone thinks all others but theirs stinks. 

Keep working and ignore them.

Bobmarlon

At my work were building a home on a lot where we tore down an existing house.  They neighbor keeps coming by upset that the new house is going to obstruct her view even though the new house is the same height and 6 feet further away.    Not only that the existing house was an eysore from the 70s and was probably going to fall down the hill and crush there boat house if it was left up another year.  People are just mental.

SardonicSmile

My neighbor tried to tell me I needed to cut my grass the other day.  ::) I wonder if he knows that all I'm EVER doing is bush hogging once every 3 months.

He also brought up that he heard me shooting. His words were "don't worry, I won't call the cops" as if it were illegal that I was shooting on my own property.

Jeff922

Yeah, people fear change and some people respond irrationally when frightened.  I have some really cool neighbors and others who should probably be institutionalized.  Back home, my neighbor stopped mowing part of his yard that is next to mine.  I don't mind.  Not mowing or bush hogging is the best thing for the environment anyway.  I may start doing the same thing.
The people next to the Victoria's we're building are the coolest neighbors ever.  I gave them a phone call after we bought the land. I didn't know these people and wanted to let them know I was going to be building (only about 200 ft from their place).  Having never met me, they told me where the spare key was to their camp and said feel free to use it if needed!  Great people! 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"