thermal mass v. insulation

Started by Sherry, January 13, 2010, 07:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

Firefox, right. I only mentioned pole barns because that's the most inexpensive way I can think of to suspend a roof above. It's the pole barn guys that typically erect things like that for sheltering equipment and such, at least around here. Could just as easily be a metal frame or something else, though the cost would go up.

Still can't imagine why the concept isn't in wider use. Can it simply be that it doesn't fit in with people's idea of a traditional house?

NE OK

firefox

I think you nailed it Rain Doj!
Most people have a very difficult time with anythinj out of the ordinary. that's what makes this site so extraordinary!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MountainDon

I can see a shade roof, such as the steel ones shown, fitting in in a rural or semi rural area, but not in the typical urban or suburban area with smaller/smallish lots.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Every single photo I could find of shelters with shade roofs were in the desert, for some reason.
NE OK

MountainDon

Hot, is the reason.....   :) :)  One of those over our suburban lot would be nice in the heat of the summer. It would cost a bit for one big enough to shade a 1600 sq ft single story home. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Seems like it'd work fine in hot, humid climates too. Lived in Arizona for a while, and, yeah, it was hot. Spent a weekend in Beaumont, Texas once, and it was pure hell. Like seriously, that's where you get sent when you die if you don't live righteously.

In the photographs, doesn't it seem counter-intuitive to have the slab extend that far from the house, out where the sun is going to beat down on it for at least some of the day? Seems like it would have been a lot better to have a smaller footprint that was constantly shaded.
NE OK

MountainDon

My thoughts ran in the same direction. However, in winter we do get a tad cold. Not cold by OH, ME, or ND standards, but cold enough.  Any radiant warmth would be appreciated. We have brick facing on the west side of our home. That brick stays darn warm for hours after the sun is going down in the summer. Personally I would prefer less concrete mass in the summer at least. I do love the idea of the roof though.

I wonder what hoops the zoning / building departments might throw in the way?