Q: For those with SunMar compost toilets

Started by gardensandcabins, June 29, 2011, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardensandcabins

Squirl,
I was thinking about that, the only thing I can come up with, is building a little bump out on the back of the cabin (which isn't built yet) And have the holding tank unit thing in it. Insulate it, and have vents that I can open or close to let the heat out into that bump out.
That make sense? All I could think of. Our cabin will be on skids, so no room underneath..

Squirl

OlJarhead

I promise I'll do pictures of our soon!

Our vent stacks (AC/DC models have two, one 2" and one 4") were only about 6 feet above the roof of the composting bins shed (roughed in for the winter and never finished).  This picture from last year does show how low they were:

Anyway, we almost never smelled them UNLESS we had the windows on that side of the cabin open and a downdraft sent some our way...then it was noticeable.  However, I knew I needed to raise those, I just wasn't ready.

Recently (last month I believe) we finally installed the 12vdc fan and pushed the 4" pipe up about 8+ feet from the shed roof and we no longer notice it at all!

Our final install will have the pipes running to the eves and then at least another 4-6 feet higher.  Sure that's not as high as they tell you to put them but my experience has taught me that it isn't required.

As for liquid, I don't often get to use the AC side so must rely on ventilation and now the 12vdc fan.  So far I've not had an overflow (we have the french drain installed of course) but I also seem to always have liquid in the base too.  I'm hopeful that now that we have the fan installed we'll be able to get rid of the liquid but I also don't want to dry it completely out either -- I understand there is a balance.

Only problem I've had yet (besides some freezing issues in winter that I mentioned earlier) is flies.  This year they got into the liquid somehow (after raising the vent higher and installing the fan) and now I have to kill them.  But they do not get into the house, I don't smell the unit and so far I have to say I'm very happy with it.

Squirl

Thanks for the picture Jarhead.  That is the only centrex unit I have seen on here.  I didn't even think about fly prevention.  I am now looking to copy the bump out idea too.

Pine Cone

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 08, 2011, 04:32:35 PM

Only problem I've had yet (besides some freezing issues in winter that I mentioned earlier) is flies.  This year they got into the liquid somehow (after raising the vent higher and installing the fan) and now I have to kill them.  But they do not get into the house, I don't smell the unit and so far I have to say I'm very happy with it.

We had a brief fly problem the first year.   Threw some diatomaceous earth into the toilet, mixed it in, and it slowly solved the problem.  Took a couple of weeks if I remember right. 

No fly problems since then, and they were just tiny guys, really not too annoying.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Pine Cone on July 08, 2011, 06:32:42 PM
We had a brief fly problem the first year.   Threw some diatomaceous earth into the toilet, mixed it in, and it slowly solved the problem.  Took a couple of weeks if I remember right. 

No fly problems since then, and they were just tiny guys, really not too annoying.

I did that last year as a precaution but used all I had keeping the ants at bay since.  Living in the forest can be that way.  I plan to get more diatomaceous earth on the next trip up and put it everywhere!  It is my understanding that they don't live in the composter but around it -- I mean to kill them off!

OlJarhead

I discovered that I had these taken in June for you and had just forgotten.

The install is not strictly what Sunmar calls for as I have it in a depression which is considered a big NO NO!  However, I felt that with the lower rainfall and good drainage coupled with some overhead protection, I'd be ok.

The install was somewhat rushed (don't do that) but has worked.  The next phase is to remove the roof, box the unit in and then put the deck roof on above it giving it far more protection from rain and snow -- however, I have not had any issue to this point with the simple protections I've utilized in the interim (i.e. old OSB sheet leaned against the face to allow water to run off away from the unit as well as a drainage ditch along the face and sides of the unit.

You will notice the insulation on the sewage pipe -- this was a MUST for us as we use the unit year round regardless of temperature!  We also installed a heat tape against the pipe which really made a difference but draws electricity off the battery bank at about 30 watts so must be accounted for on the power setup.

The fan is temporarily wired up so it can be used but in the future when the shed is completed there will be more permanent wiring.

It's 'down and dirty' so we don't have to use a luggable lou!  But it works and will soon be in much finer accommodations ;)