Which software

Started by alcowboy, November 04, 2008, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcowboy

I have been using Better Homes and Garden's Home Designer and am having difficulty with balloon framing on that software. Does 3DHA allow for balloon framing? If so, I may consider making the purchase of that software. OR, is there another that will allow me to accomplish my plans properly and give me correct materials information (take-offs).

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

alcowboy

I would too if I knew what I was doing but since I don't have a clue what to do or how to do take-offs then I have to rely on something else. Do you know of a website where I can learn how to figure materials needed for the project?

glenn kangiser

It is very straightforward.  Just do it one surface at a time and list the parts you will use for each.  Walls are sometimes easyier to estimate at 1 stud per foot to cover plates also that way, but exact count will be more accurate.  Estimating programs, especially cost ones including labor are generally junk and more trouble than they are worth.

I have a real job today so will be unable to post much more - gotta go to work.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

As far as software vs paper goes I prefer paper. My reason is not lack of software skills but rather, from what I've seen none of the inexpensive software provides a detailed framing plan and list of materials. At least the ones I tried out had those shortcomings. They are useful for visual representations in 3D I will admit.

Buy some vellum paper, a good triangle, scale rule, mechanical pencils. The vellum paper is specially made for making drawings as lines can be erased over and over without damaging the paper surface. You can get it with light blue grid that can be used for easy scaling.

Do elevation views of each wall from the outside looking in. You can detail each header, the jack studs, etc. Then tote up the materials. This also allows a "dry run" through the construction process as you can see how one detail affects another; such as how to build a corner or how to build an interior wall that butts up to an exterior wall. At least this approach helps my visually oriented brain.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.