On Monday, you can carry a gun in National parks

Started by peternap, February 19, 2010, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

I seldom ever voice my opinion Because to others it doesn't matter what I feel  any more than someones opinion changes how I feel.

I'm for rights. basic human rights. If I want to carry for any reason anywhere I should be able to without fear of being arrested.

Someone with criminal intention is taking away someones basic human right and I'm against that.  

You will never find a subject about anything that doesn't  have it's cry babies.  I'm not referring to anyone here but to this globe that spins around everyday.  
Home is where you make it

peternap

Quote from: diyfrank on February 20, 2010, 09:37:04 PM
I seldom ever voice my opinion Because to others it doesn't matter what I feel  any more than someones opinion changes how I feel.

I'm for rights. basic human rights. If I want to carry for any reason anywhere I should be able to without fear of being arrested.

Someone with criminal intention is taking away someones basic human right and I'm against that.  

You will never find a subject about anything that doesn't  have it's cry babies.  I'm not referring to anyone here but to this globe that spins around everyday.  

That was well stated Frank! [cool]
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

dug

Fact, it is the law now and there isn't anything you can do about it!

Never said I was trying to do something about it. Just voicing my say. I thought that was what this forum was about, or maybe it would be better if I only posted when I agree with you.
No reason to gloat, you won, remember?

I do agree with Glenn that if someone is assaulting you with a gun, having one of your own would probably be your best defense.

peternap

Quote from: dug on February 20, 2010, 09:50:09 PM
  I thought that was what this forum was about, or maybe it would be better if I only posted when I agree with you.
No reason to gloat, you won, remember?

I do agree with Glenn that if someone is assaulting you with a gun, having one of your own would probably be your best defense.

I don't think anyone ever agrees with me 100%  ;D

I'm not sure it's gloating. The fact is, National Parks here are pretty small. The National forest is the big one. I hardly go to the parks. This is a win for everywhere.

And yes...everyone here is entitled to their opinion...and most express it. As Don said the other day, this is family. Arguing in the family is also allowed. :-\
You certainly don't have to agree with me. Just don't take it personally when I fight back...because it isn't personal.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desimulacra

I saw that several in our church were carrying and thought it was bad taste. Also thought that they must be radicals, probably beat up on when kids.  Then checking them out they are all very well adjusted, some are game wardens. They carry with the blessing of the church and are prepared to protect the congregation. I for one, after getting past my initial shallow thinking, am glad they carry.  If I know anything in my 50 years it is when you are unprepared that is when the worse will happen. Same anywhere including National Parks.
West Tennessee

peternap

Well....Monday came and went. No mass hysteria, no Soccer Moms running in uncontrollable terror, no Suicides..Just a quite peaceful walk through the National Park.
Now. a hundred mile drive back to the farm and I can take it off.

RainDog

This beard thing around here is really beginning to freak me out a little. I know common sense would dictate that it was simply a way to hide double-chins and dewlaps, but I can't help but suspect that it's really something much, much more sinister.  :-\

;D

NE OK

MountainDon

I've had a beard of one type or another for about 40 years. It began as a way to save on the trouble of shaving. Nothing too sinister. But that may just be me.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

It started as a mustache around 1965, progressed to sideburns about 1970...got trimmed back to mustache only when I was with the state, then about 1990, became a beard and I will probably go to my grave with it.

It hides lots of things but.....you don't have to trim it every morning ;D and, it keeps my face warm.

I shaved my mustache ??? once and discovered I didn't have an upper lip. Started growing it back the next day. Heaven only knows what's missing under the beard.

Oh...I forgot about that little 4 year stint with no hair or beard or mustache. I may have been traumatized and need the beard for security.

glenn kangiser

If I did the math right at 10 minutes per day in a lifetime it amounts to around another 6 months of life.  I can take a six month vacation and not lose a day. or spend it working and amass a small fortune. [ouch]

Likely several thousand dollars worth of razors, shavers, aftershave, styptic pencils.  The intimidation factor has to be worth something.  The wife can spend much more time in the bathroom.  gottogo

It looks like all in all, a beard simply leads to a better quality of life..... [waiting]

No use trying to convince us different..... [deadhorse]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

poppy

RainDog

peternap, I was lookin' at that mean Blackhawk you're totin' in the photo, and it occurs to me that you may have misunderstood something...

It's "National Park".

Not "JURASSIC Park".

:D
NE OK

peternap

Quote from: RainDog on February 24, 2010, 02:04:25 PM

peternap, I was lookin' at that mean Blackhawk you're totin' in the photo, and it occurs to me that you may have misunderstood something...

It's "National Park".

Not "JURASSIC Park".

:D

The Blackhawk is my "Little Gun: ;D
That's a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70
I also have one in 45LC/410 that I rechambered to Causell/410

I wanted to be sure it was visable  c*

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

I know I'm not supposed to covet, but...

Gonna do it anyway.  ;)
NE OK

OlJarhead

Hmmm...

When I let the Marine Corps I traveled from State or National Park to the next across the US.  It never occurred to me that there were rules AGAINST open carry, perhaps becuase I had been told by a Sheriff that as long as I was open carrying I was ok and of course having been raised in Canada (serious anti-gun laws) I assumed that was the rule across the US.

When in MO at a state or national park I was setting up camp for the night and the park ranger came by.  He saw my .38 on my hip and began to chat me up.  During the course of our conversation he finally popped the question:  Would you mind accompanying me on my rounds this evening?  We've had a ration of crimes lately and a murder not too far from here.  I would appreciate your company if it isn't too much to ask?"

Of course I complied and we talked about the problem of crimes in parks -- which are not uncommon at all.

To be honest, my short hair (High and Tight) gave away my military background (at least at that time it did) and I was minding my own business (as usual) but I had no idea that what I was doing might be considered illegal much less scare anyone.  In fact, I've found it's quite the opposite.

Do the police scare you when they are carrying?  Does little Johnny cry when the police come by and are carrying?  Is he crying becuase of the gun?  Or would he like to see it?

As for the City, I have a concealed carry license BECAUSE of the city.  If I didn't live in one I wouldn't worry about it.

Lastly, I find that those who are afraid of someone who is not obviously a policeman carrying a side arm are usually the most misinformed and uneducated about their American Rights and that law abiding gun owners openly carrying aren't the problem nor is the practice of protecting oneself.

Criminals will be criminals and they won't carry openly most often -- and won't abide by some law that infringes on your right to Keep and Bear arms.  In fact, they would prefer that you did not and could not carry becuase it would make their job (of robbing you) much easier.

I'm sorry for the rant but honestly, it's that kind of "it scares people" nonsense that gets my goat.

Lastly, I have had at least 4 times in my life experienced the benefits of carrying openly.  None of which involved drawing, much less firing, my side arm (not that I couldn't or don't know how).

1.  The park incident above
2.  A friend of mine and I pulled up to a gas station around 3am in the middle of the country, in an area we thought it best not to hang around in, but we were in need of fuel.  We stopped the car, and as we got out holstered our side arms (me a 6" barreled Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum and Rick a .40 S&W).  Behind the station were two cars with a groups of young kids wearing clothes that suggested they might be gang types.  We walked into the station to get some coke, chips, gum etc were met by a nervous looking clerk.  As we approached the counter she looked outside and saw the two cars leaving, smiled, said 'thank you' and began to ring our order up.  I asked "I'm sorry?"  And she replied "Those kids were really making me nervous but they saw you two and left".  We pumped our gas and moved on.
3.  I walked into a gas station around 3:30am on my way to a cell tower to repair a radio that was failing.  I needed some junk food and tobacco.  When I walked in I didn't even notice the young man in the back of the store and just walked in, got my coke, chips and approached the counter.  I was wearing my Ruger Vaquero .45LC with 5" barrel.  It's a big old fashioned single action pistol that you'd expect to see in the western movies and not on some guys hip at 3:30 in the morning at a plaid pantry :)  But that's me sometimes.  Anyway, I noticed someone leaving the store as I got to the counter and the clerk said "Thanks!".  I asked what for and he pointed right at my .45 and said "You walked in and that guy took one look at that big pistol on your hip and be-lined for the door!".  I told the clerk I was sorry for scaring him off -- still clueless -- and the clerk said "No, you don't understand!  He was casing the store for about 10 minutes.  Wasn't buying anything at all and I was afraid he was just trying to get the courage up to rob me!  Then you walked in with that big pistol in plain view and his eyes went as big as saucers and he ran out of here.  THANK YOU!
4.  I was driving across the US and in desperate need of some sleep.  I found a park to stop in, pitched my tent and decided to take a short walk before going to sleep.  As I began to walk I noticed some kids partying not too far away.  They were very noisy and racing motorcycles around etc.  Clearly disturbing other campers in the park but no one was doing anything about it.  Two came racing by me, a little closely and not too many yards afterward turned around and slowly drove back to the party.  They had both nodded at me when they drove back as if to say "I'm sorry".  Shortly after-wards the kids all packed up and left.  It was a peaceful night in the park.

There are more but this is the norm I have experienced and I've openly carried for over 20 years no.  I also conceal (legally) when I feel like it.

I'm not a gun nut, I'm just a Marine who believes in his right to keep and bear arms and whom thinks all American's should respect that right.  They should also stop thinking law abiding citizens are the problem, we're not.  It's the guy with the sawed off shotgun under his coat in need of a crack fix that you need to worry about -- and if you are lucky, someone like me will be nearby and he will get scared and change his mind.

peternap

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 24, 2010, 05:26:50 PM
Hmmm...

When I let the Marine Corps I traveled from State or National Park to the next across the US.  It never occurred to me that there were rules AGAINST open carry, perhaps becuase I had been told by a Sheriff that as long as I was open carrying I was ok and of course having been raised in Canada (serious anti-gun laws) I assumed that was the rule across the US.

When in MO at a state or national park I was setting up camp for the night and the park ranger came by.  He saw my .38 on my hip and began to chat me up.  During the course of our conversation he finally popped the question:  Would you mind accompanying me on my rounds this evening?  We've had a ration of crimes lately and a murder not too far from here.  I would appreciate your company if it isn't too much to ask?"

Of course I complied and we talked about the problem of crimes in parks -- which are not uncommon at all.

To be honest, my short hair (High and Tight) gave away my military background (at least at that time it did) and I was minding my own business (as usual) but I had no idea that what I was doing might be considered illegal much less scare anyone.  In fact, I've found it's quite the opposite.

Do the police scare you when they are carrying?  Does little Johnny cry when the police come by and are carrying?  Is he crying becuase of the gun?  Or would he like to see it?

As for the City, I have a concealed carry license BECAUSE of the city.  If I didn't live in one I wouldn't worry about it.

Lastly, I find that those who are afraid of someone who is not obviously a policeman carrying a side arm are usually the most misinformed and uneducated about their American Rights and that law abiding gun owners openly carrying aren't the problem nor is the practice of protecting oneself.

Criminals will be criminals and they won't carry openly most often -- and won't abide by some law that infringes on your right to Keep and Bear arms.  In fact, they would prefer that you did not and could not carry becuase it would make their job (of robbing you) much easier.

I'm sorry for the rant but honestly, it's that kind of "it scares people" nonsense that gets my goat.

Lastly, I have had at least 4 times in my life experienced the benefits of carrying openly.  None of which involved drawing, much less firing, my side arm (not that I couldn't or don't know how).

1.  The park incident above
2.  A friend of mine and I pulled up to a gas station around 3am in the middle of the country, in an area we thought it best not to hang around in, but we were in need of fuel.  We stopped the car, and as we got out holstered our side arms (me a 6" barreled Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum and Rick a .40 S&W).  Behind the station were two cars with a groups of young kids wearing clothes that suggested they might be gang types.  We walked into the station to get some coke, chips, gum etc were met by a nervous looking clerk.  As we approached the counter she looked outside and saw the two cars leaving, smiled, said 'thank you' and began to ring our order up.  I asked "I'm sorry?"  And she replied "Those kids were really making me nervous but they saw you two and left".  We pumped our gas and moved on.
3.  I walked into a gas station around 3:30am on my way to a cell tower to repair a radio that was failing.  I needed some junk food and tobacco.  When I walked in I didn't even notice the young man in the back of the store and just walked in, got my coke, chips and approached the counter.  I was wearing my Ruger Vaquero .45LC with 5" barrel.  It's a big old fashioned single action pistol that you'd expect to see in the western movies and not on some guys hip at 3:30 in the morning at a plaid pantry :)  But that's me sometimes.  Anyway, I noticed someone leaving the store as I got to the counter and the clerk said "Thanks!".  I asked what for and he pointed right at my .45 and said "You walked in and that guy took one look at that big pistol on your hip and be-lined for the door!".  I told the clerk I was sorry for scaring him off -- still clueless -- and the clerk said "No, you don't understand!  He was casing the store for about 10 minutes.  Wasn't buying anything at all and I was afraid he was just trying to get the courage up to rob me!  Then you walked in with that big pistol in plain view and his eyes went as big as saucers and he ran out of here.  THANK YOU!
4.  I was driving across the US and in desperate need of some sleep.  I found a park to stop in, pitched my tent and decided to take a short walk before going to sleep.  As I began to walk I noticed some kids partying not too far away.  They were very noisy and racing motorcycles around etc.  Clearly disturbing other campers in the park but no one was doing anything about it.  Two came racing by me, a little closely and not too many yards afterward turned around and slowly drove back to the party.  They had both nodded at me when they drove back as if to say "I'm sorry".  Shortly after-wards the kids all packed up and left.  It was a peaceful night in the park.

There are more but this is the norm I have experienced and I've openly carried for over 20 years no.  I also conceal (legally) when I feel like it.

I'm not a gun nut, I'm just a Marine who believes in his right to keep and bear arms and whom thinks all American's should respect that right.  They should also stop thinking law abiding citizens are the problem, we're not.  It's the guy with the sawed off shotgun under his coat in need of a crack fix that you need to worry about -- and if you are lucky, someone like me will be nearby and he will get scared and change his mind.

Great Post!

People like you are why we are able to force reform in our gun laws.
I'm not sure what a gun nut is but I suppose I am one. I own a lot of them, build them, collect  them, wear them and shoot them.
I don't live in a City and never have. I suppose Country people think anyone that disagrees with them are City Folks.

I do respect the right to disagree with me. I listen to the arguments and if I don't like them, I just shrug it off. There isn't a lot of middle ground with me.

For those that feel as strongly against guns as I do for them, they can do as I do. Become a lobbyist, spend seven or eight thousand a year out of their own pocket and dedicate 3 months out of the year trying to convince people that I don't care much for, to vote my way. Then try to catch up on the work I should have been doing after the fiasco.

I need to get my tractor and equipment ready for spring, I need to do maintenance work to two houses..I'd like to go fishing and Hunt Turkeys when the season opens.

But I'll be fighting with the State Forest people instead since they are proposing half of what the law requires.

But the Rural bills that needed work  (this year they needed to be killed. No good bills were introduced) are taken care of, I can watch the gun bills VCDL is spearheading. They are passing one after another so I guess what we're doing is working.

MountainDon

Gun nut?   Hmmm.

Well, for sure if you own this, you are a gun nut....

And if you are unsure, have a look here...

... you ever seriously thought about dabbing on a little Hoppe's #9 before going out on a date.
...you buy some checkering tools, you checker all your gun stocks, and then start on the bedposts.
...you cannot recall how many firearms you own.
...you buy a gun that's just like that other gun you have except the barrel is 1/2" shorter (or longer).
...you buy a gun at a shop only to find out you used to own it a couple of years ago.
...you know 12 different names for one caliber of cartridge.
...you ever clean a gun that hasn't been shot in the week since you cleaned it last.
...you consider naming your unborn child Winchester or Remington.
...you purchased two Glocks and two Sigs just to see which brand was better.
...your drive to work is filled with reverie about why Ed's Red actually works.
...you strip all the paint off our car and refinish it with cold blue.
...you ever bought ammo in a caliber for which you have no gun, because you thought some day you MIGHT get a gun in that caliber.
...your collection of American Rifleman back issues, Gun Digests and reloading manuals cost you a premium the last time you moved.
...you have more than one gun that "kills on both ends."
...you buy high capacity magazines for a gun you have not bought yet.
...you take your guns out of the safe each night and handle them, just so you can wipe them off before putting them away.
...your mother-in-law asks what new gun junk you want for Christmas this year.
...you see TV footage of the war in Bosnia and wish you were there to pick up the brass.
...you drive 300 miles just to ogle (and fire) (H&K H-K) HK-MP5s (and Stens, Uzis, BMGs and whatever else shows up at Knob Creek).
...you keep a loaded gun hidden in every room in the house, including the bathroom and kitchen, "just in case," and then keep one on you at all times just in case someone breaks in while you're in the hallway.
...you consider it unpatriotic not to own at least one .45 and one .22.
...you named your pocket pistol "Little Guy" and your 12 gauge "Big Jake."
...you own reloading dies for calibers that you do not shoot.
...you tape American Shooter so you can pause, reverse and fast forward to do a complete analysis of the show.
...you understand Smith & Wesson's model numbers.
...you ever bought two brands of the same weight and type of bullet, just to see if one "shot better."
...you keep a collection of different cartridges at your place of work as a "conversation piece."
...you take your wife on vacation to a gun show for your 10th Anniversary and she is as excited to go as you are.
...you ever had to explain, "It's NOT the same gun, it's a variation!"

All the above from....

http://130.94.182.159/gun_nut.htm

MountainDon

Peter, what nefarious things is the Forest Service up to?

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on February 24, 2010, 07:03:01 PM
Peter, what nefarious things is the Forest Service up to?

Long story but the Readers Digest Condensed Version....

Currently the Va Dept of Forestry prohibits guns except certain areas during hunting season, on Department lands..

When Bob McDonnell (Our new Governor) was Attorney General, Senator Ken Cuccinelli (Our new Attorney General) requested an AG Opinion (At our request) to see if the Department had the authority to make that rule.

The answer was NO. They could not prohibit guns either Open Or Concealed.

Tim Kaine (Our idiot ex Governor and the New Head of the DNC, said a POX on those evil gun people. You don't have to change the rules while I'm Governor.

Fast Forward...We worked our butts off and got Cuccinelli and McDonnell elected and it's pay up time. The Department said "Oh Sh%$, we'd better do something" so they set the rulemaking process in gear.

The problem is, they only want to allow CHP holders to carry. Clearly illegal. There was so much uproar when I published the proposal from the State Register, that the number of emails sent in crashed their web site. It's back up now.

They have 90 days to take comments and hearings The first will nbe on March 4th.

I set up a special page to keep my articles about it in.

http://news.oldva.org/?page_id=3709

Now to make it harder, the NRA figured CHP was the easier route so they aren't addressing the Open carry issue. That's normal for them and we far out number them in Va.

devildog

Peternap, I'd like to say thanks for the time and money youve put in to the efforts of protecting our gun rights. I just recently paid another year to the NRA,but thats it. I will regret one day for not doing more now. The older I get the more important I think it is,so maybe Im thinkin its time to do more. Where do I start?
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

MountainDon

So it's the VA Forestry Dept, not the National Forest?

In NM we have mostly National Forests (USDA). Our cabin is surrounded by National Forest and National Recreation Area (also USDA). There's also a lot of BLM and some state lands, but the NF and BLM are the biggies.

peternap

Quote from: devildog on February 24, 2010, 09:08:34 PM
Peternap, I'd like to say thanks for the time and money youve put in to the efforts of protecting our gun rights. I just recently paid another year to the NRA,but thats it. I will regret one day for not doing more now. The older I get the more important I think it is,so maybe Im thinkin its time to do more. Where do I start?
Darrell

Welcome to the war Darrell. Actually, it isn't. Gunowners are the most powerful lobby in Virginia.
What can you do?

First, sign up for VCDL's Alerts. You don't have to be a member and they are free.http://www.vcdl.org/

Second, join VCDL. It was VCDL that gave us "Shall Issue", Full Preemption and hundreds of other bills.

Third, start checking Old Virginia. That's not a true gun area. We are a Rural Affairs organization and act in support of VCDL unless the Gun Bill is a rural matter...Like the State Forest problem. http://news.oldva.org/

Open Carry.org http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/ is a good source for information but more geared to Northern Va, Tidewater and Richmond. Still, the most active Virginia group on the net.

Last, organize your friends in Hillsville. There are little dinner groups all over the state that get together once a month for an open carry dinner. We have had from ten to a hundred twenty five people come and do it on the second Tuesday of the month.
Since I spend a lot of time in Richmond, I go with them on a regular basis and I've had lots of them come to Victoria for our breakfasts.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on February 24, 2010, 09:18:08 PM
So it's the VA Forestry Dept, not the National Forest?

In NM we have mostly National Forests (USDA). Our cabin is surrounded by National Forest and National Recreation Area (also USDA). There's also a lot of BLM and some state lands, but the NF and BLM are the biggies.

Yep state Don. We have mostly National Forest too and there are some off season issues with them also. That;s tied in with Our Game Commission and if we get the Forestry people on track, the same law will  put DGIF in line and that will cure the National Forest problems too.

MountainDon