Water Filters?

Started by rwanders, January 03, 2010, 12:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwanders

Anyone have experience with installing well water filters? I have good water, not too hard and no sulfur taste or smell but, it does have some orange discoloration. It is effectively removed by a small PUR filter at the kitchen faucet but I would like to scrub it out for the whole cabin-----looking for a larger filter I could place inline before the pressure tank with enough capacity so it would not interfere with my tankless water heater----any recommendations or warnings?
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

Orange discoloration is likely iron.  Have you always had it?  It can be caused by iron bacteria.  A heavy shock chlorination can take care of that most of the time.

Does it occur in the water as pumped or increase in intensity if left standing?

In some cases it is best to pump it into a non-pressurized tank in a spray to mix it with air and oxidize the dissolved iron to make it easier to filter, then use a booster pump to pressurize the house system.

This is from studies I have read when I was well drilling.  Most of my problems were taken care of by the heavy chlorination to get rid of the iron bacteria.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.