Cast Iron

Started by Billisnice, February 07, 2011, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I have been using a cast iron skillet for fried eggs for years. I alway have used extra virgin olive oil. I read somewhere not to use olive oil Does it matter?

Thanks

glenn kangiser

I read recently not to use olive oil on some things that were fried as it gets bitter when it gets hot.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Texas Tornado

I have used olive oil in mine but always make sure it is well cleaned after each use..The issue of burning is too hot of a fire which will cause smoke and sticking...Lower the temp...Cast iron holds the heat for a long long time....

Alan Gage

Like the others said, olive oil has a lower smoking/burning point than most of the other oils. Not the best choice if you want to cook hotter than "normal."

Alan

considerations

If you are heating the skillet for something like baking biscuits, then olive oil seasoning can smoke....however, if the skillet is used for normal cooking, like eggs, or saute and simmer, etc., then olive oil is fine.  In fact, if the olive oil is smoking, whether in the pan or as part of the seasoning, then your eggs/ingredients are likely charring on the edges and still raw in the middle, plus it is true, the olive oil can get icky tasting. 

My cooking "eggs in skillet" technique involves a few moves onto and off of the coals, as the residual pan heat does most of the cooking, and I like to be able to dip my toast in the yolks.  This skillet was seasoned in olive oil and I usually cook the eggs w/a little more olive oil.

The dutch ovens got the Crisco/bacon grease seasoning, because of the heat needed to bake in them.

So, I guess you could say "a light hand" lets one continue using olive oil.  Works with pancakes too.... c*