starting our plan

Started by Sheri833, January 25, 2016, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheri833

Since we think we finally found our land were looking for a plan and budget. Do you think it's possible to build a pretty nice 20x20 cabin on skids like this http://www.classicmanor.com/products/cabins for about 20-25k? This is including everything but land, septic, and whatever it cost to get electricity to the cabin. I am a mom of 2 toddlers and plan to live there so we do need to be comfortable. Also, when building on skids is it possible to build on? Eventually the kids will want their own space. Would it be possible to build on a little 8x8 room for myself?

midrover170

I'd say $20-25k is using a pretty sharp pencil. Are you going to do any of the work, or hire most out? The latter route will really add cost. I did a 720sf cabin for around $35-40k, also not including the things you listed (septic and other utilities). I paid through the nose for a few things though: Corten metal, Hardie siding, cedar soffits, deck material, etc. Many things that escalate cost are simply a matter of taste.

What I'm more worried about is your comment about "skids"... What are you referring to? Post and pier? I see the picture and that definitely looks like a cabin that's only OK in an area that never freezes.