Electrical Inspections in NY

Started by John_M, March 24, 2009, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Just wondering how many of you have had an electrical inspection in NY recently.  I'm a little unsure of a few things and was just wondering what exactly they are looking for in your first inspection?

I have the power in and a few outlets hooked up.  The rest of the cabin is rough wired and I want to have an inspector from NY Underwriters come in but I want to make sure I have the obvious things he is looking for covered.

Any suggestions or advice as to what they want to see? ???
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

rocking23nf

Well, as a former electrician in Canada, the inspector usually will check your panel for proper terminations, check a plug for proper terminations, also all plugs against an outer wall need to have vapor barrier cases around them, and all wire should be stapled at least every 5 feet if you used loomex, if you used BX its similar but not stapled, but BX required anti- shorts where the striped metal touchs the wire.

Also they usually verify a proper grounding for your panel, such as a cooper rod in the ground or terminated to a cold water line. Also bathroom, kitchen, and outdoor boxes need to be GFI's. Also no plugs are allowed above baseboard heaters.

Other things that wouldnt apply are emergency lights, they have to run for a minimum of 30 mins off of battery backup or they fail inspection.

Those are some of the things, of course this is in alberta canada, which could be very different from NY.