Sergeant Pepper turns 40 today...

Started by fourx, June 03, 2007, 12:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourx

...well, tomorrow for most folk here.
Any thoughts on this Beatles album, it's musical qualities, did the Earth move for you..? Or was it all a big yawn...Or maybe you wern't even born.

Hey, what a nice start to a song that would be...
You know what they say- If you can remember the sixties, you weren't really there, so maybe girding up the loins of those brain cells is going to sound a little creaky, but let's give it a try :)

Was Honey Pie on that?
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

I didn't do much Sargent Pepper, but had Abbey Road.  I was class of 69  :)  

I thought all the girls going ga-ga over the Beatles, crying, swooning - tears streaming down their faces --- were goofy.  I was the biggest prize around at the time.  Why didn't they realize that? :-?

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fourx

One did, it seems :)
It was not one of the most influnential albums of that period, music-wise, I feel, and not in my collection of vinal at the time- Blond On Blond anfd Exile On Mainstreet were more complex musically, and without the music hall, Pythonesque slant much of the content showed. With the barbers, cups of tea and firemen it strikes me as a sad call to retain Englishness in the face of the wave of free-for-all immigration and multiculturalism just starting then, the end result of which, 39 years on, would be the London tube bombing.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

Yeah -- she did but I had to point her in the right direction. :)

Now for the fake terror used to control the masses.  I think it's bigger than that.  Multiculturalism may be here but the tube bombing, 9/11, Spain bombing, Bali Bombing all reek of the Elite One World Government false flag operations with the Israeli's in the background on all of them -- Note that Netanyahu was present to comment on both.   Both had military training operations in the same locations on the same day (7/7 -- 9/11)  Coincidence?  I think not.

http://www.thesimon.com/magazine/articles/canon_fodder/0889_what_behind_london_attacks.html

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/july2005/070705standstogain.htm

There is a strong theory the John Lennon's assassin was mind controlled and commissioned to get rid of him due to the strength he had in rallying people to come together for peace.  Imagine.... that.

QuoteRichard Nixon, his administration and other right-wing politicians (including ultraconservative ancient Senator Strom Thurmond, who personally memoed Attorney Gerneral John Mitcell on the matter) were fixated on what they saw as the Lennon problem. To them, the politically outspoken singer-songwriter was an insidious subversive of the worst kind, the famous and beloved kind.

J. Edgar Hoover shared their concerns. One page of Lennon's FBI file bears the handwritten, block-lettered, under lined words, ALL EXTREMISTS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED DANGEROUS. The government went all-out to deny Lennon his longed-for permanent U.S. residency, and more than that, to deport him altogether (that was the subject of Thurmond's memo).

Lennon's FBI file - at nearly three hundred pages as chubby as Hoover himself - reveals that he was under "constant surveillance." Nor did the G-men keep a particularly low profile around the ex-Beatle, apparently attempting to harass him into silence or at least drive him nuts, similar to the tactic they had used on Martin Luther King, Jr., a few short but eventful years earlier.

In late 1972, when the "surveillance" was at its peak, Lennon told humorist Paul Krassner, "Listen, if anything happens to Yoko and me, it was not an accident."

The elite of Australia are right there in bed with the rest of the West leaders.

It looks like some of the countries on the other side of the fence are considering their options in keeping the balance of power even.  

http://english.pravda.ru/russia/kremlin/01-06-2007/92585-putin_imperialist-0

How'd I get to all of that from Sargent Pepper? :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

I don't know how you got there!

I worked at a record store, so the house was the first around to get both that album and one by some friends of ours (2/3 of the Hearts and Flowers).  I can remember five or six people sitting around, listening, trying to identify the pictures on the cover of Seargent Pepper's, putting the two records on back to back, each side, three or four times.

We finally decided that the Hearts and Flowers sounded pretty good in comparison.  But that the Beatles were wonderful.

But 35 years later, the Hearts and Flowers album sounded dated.  Don't imagine that the Beatles do, although I haven't heard it in a long time.

MountainDon

Sergeant Pepper was/is one of my all time favorites albums. A fun album. That was back when I re-recorded everything to my Roberts reel-to-reel to preserve the vinyl.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.