Water, no communications, food shortages, the restructuring of enforcement

Started by peternap, August 26, 2012, 08:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

We've had storms all weekend and I couldn't plant my Rye. I haven't been feeling well either (another story) so aside from taking an online video class when I could get online, I haven't done much but think. That's always dangerous. :-\

Camden New Jersey is doing away with the PD and contracting with the county to provide law enforcement. This is just another piece of the restructuring of law enforcement. Scanners, Drones, Cameras, Etc. are other concerns....things are changing.

Jane and I can survive quite well under changing conditions on the farm if food shortages get worse or the economy continues a nose dive... but we won't be able to move back and forth between the burbs where the kids are, and the farm as freely as we do now.

I own a section of river and 5 springs (two small ones and three large ones) and the river is not navigable and not under the Corp of Engineers control.

My concerns are how to handle change if it happens. What if the FCC manages to get control of the internet and Cell Phones become too expensive to use. Gas becomes a luxury and food shortages happen. The international price of corn has risen 50% lately according to the news.

What happens if the Government decides my water is theirs as has happened out west.

There are a lot of possible problems we may encounter in the near future that need to be considered.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

flyingvan

Things rarely dump into a sustained meltdown.  Look at Japan right now following a series of challenges.  There's a corn shortage, so corn prices go up, people shift to something else.   Everyone is very dependent on this system so in spite of occasional checks and balances, things will always sort of plod along.  Of course it's prudent to have a back up plan and at least a month worth of self sustaining supplies, but we'll get along.  The less you depend on the government for anything the more able to thrive, both in good times and bad
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Peter if you have a little water (your springs) and a little land you got it whipped.

If you have all the land on earth and no water what the hell good is it?

As you know out here in the west we have to travel forever to get no where.  As the price of fuel goes up even for those of us who do make a good wage or have a good retirement it is right up there with being trapped and enslaved.  $50 dollar bill to go round trip to the ranch and back now days.  Funny that was on reason we never built up there.  It was cheaper just to drive back and forth than build a dwelling.  That option is out now.  We sold the house here in the valley and are making plans for the the move.  It might be a big mistake but we would rather live up there away from this here into our old age.  Or we could sit here and suck down pablum through a straw and cuss the government and Obama or who ever is the head guy in charge ....         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

Quote from: rick91351 on August 26, 2012, 11:35:51 PM
Peter if you have a little water (your springs) and a little land you got it whipped.

If you have all the land on earth and no water what the hell good is it?

As you know out here in the west we have to travel forever to get no where.  As the price of fuel goes up even for those of us who do make a good wage or have a good retirement it is right up there with being trapped and enslaved.  $50 dollar bill to go round trip to the ranch and back now days.  Funny that was on reason we never built up there.  It was cheaper just to drive back and forth than build a dwelling.  That option is out now.  We sold the house here in the valley and are making plans for the the move.  It might be a big mistake but we would rather live up there away from this here into our old age.  Or we could sit here and suck down pablum through a straw and cuss the government and Obama or who ever is the head guy in charge ....         

I agree Rick. I think the biggest concern I have is the kids and grand kids.

Trying to plan some way to communicate with them and be there for an emergency, is an issue. I guess at some point I have to accept the fact that I have to let go some day...it just goes against the grain.

OTOH, I really can't wait to be there 24/7. ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!