Talk to me about Amsoil

Started by peternap, January 30, 2011, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Redover tweaked my interest in another thread.

I'm thinking about putting Amsoil in my wife's Landrover.
Now I'm using Castrol High mileage oil.

What are the pros and cons other than the price of the oil?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peternap on January 30, 2011, 08:02:37 PM
Redover tweaked my interest in another thread.

I'm thinking about putting Amsoil in my wife's Landrover.
Now I'm using Castrol High mileage oil.

What are the pros and cons other than the price of the oil?

Peternap here is their site which may or may not answer some of your questions.  I do know that I have been using it for years and have had no complaints about it's performance.  A friend of mine who has a repair shop and is pretty knowledgeable has used it for several years 15+ and swears by it in as much as he uses it in all his equipment including trucks, wreckers, rollback, tractors including his riding mower. I am going to start using it in my wifes car but the company does not make one of their filters to fit.  They said that "fram" does meet their specification and can be used in lieu of their filter.

I am not sure if it would be benificial for all but with the deisel it definitely has paid for itself if nothing more than less changes. I only change the filter at 12,500 miles and add additional oil to bring it back to full and then completely change the oil and filter at 25,000 miles.   

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx.

peternap

Thanks John! I looked at their site earlier. I was really looking for personal success stories.

I think I'll give it a try. I'm not sure if they sell it in stores around here but I'll take a look and if I can't find it, I'll order some.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Color me undecided, skeptical. I'm not saying it's bad oil, but I wonder if it is really any better than other pure synthetics. ???  It sure costs more than the Mobil 1 I've used for years. I buy it at Walmart in 5 qt containers. They also make a high mileage type. Big variety listed on Mobils website.

One thing to watch for in older engines that may be using a little oil or dripping a little oil.... that will get worse with a synthetic.

Oh yeah, I have this maybe irrational suspicion about companies that use Multi Level Marketing.  :-\ ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Peter I found several dealers in your area.  You might see if they are close enough.  I never have seen their product in the retail market of auto part suppliers or major discount store. Unfortuneately when I pasted the link on the search the results did not appear but only the search application.  Just indicate your hometown and these will display.

http://www.amsoil.com/locator/dealerlocator.aspx

zion-diy

I started using Amsoil in the 70's. have always had good luck with it. still use it today. I also used their synthetic grease in all the u-joints on my 4 wheel drive, and their gear oil in the trans, rearend, and transfer case. When I lived in New england and the weather was 30 below, I found the truck started and rolled easier. Anyone who has tried to just take off in a 4 wheel drive in 30 below will understand. before the change over, I couldn't even let the clutch out cause the thick oil would bog the motor and stall. 
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

Windpower

(Thread drift warning)  ;D

This diesel fuel additive got very good test results here

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

From what I read on a Ford Diesel forum the achilles heel of the 6 L PS is the injectors with the new low sulfur fuels because they have less lubrication than #1.

Also they need very good oil (like all diesels I presume)  Mobil 1 got good marks as well as Amsoil

I just bought a quart here of the winter blend

http://www.opti-lube.com/orders.htm

I will let you know how it works -- someone said the start up was better and quieter on his Power Stroke
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Bob S.

I used amesoil in a 1985 Oldsmobile that I owend for 20 years. Started using it early in it life. Wife drove it for 10 years then I drove it as my work car for 10 years. I sold it when I retierd. It had about 135K or so when I was done with it.
  Amsoil recommended Oil change at 10k with a filter change at 5k. I just changed the oil at 5k.
  After 20 years the car would stil used less than a quart of oil in 5k.