Aladdin Lamp oil for Mtn Don

Started by peternap, January 18, 2011, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

A few weeks Mountain Don said something about Aladdin lamps not being the best for disaster preparedness because kerosene clogged the Mantels over time.
I mentioned the Kerosene substitute I use. (Can't remember the name now but HD sells it for Kero Heaters.)

Anyway, I pulled one of the lamps that I haven't used for at least two years and is full.

The lamp lit right away and didn't even sputter. This does burn hotter than Kerosene but it stores very well, even in the lamp. I'm typing this by the light from it now.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Probably this ...  Klean-Strip

I use it in lamos... just didn't know it was so good. Less odor too. Good to know it is kind to Aladdins.

The fuel depot stuff is cheaper and fine for the kerosene "rocket" heater in the workshop.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on January 18, 2011, 06:53:21 PM
Probably this ...  Klean-Strip

I use it in lamos... just didn't know it was so good. Less odor too. Good to know it is kind to Aladdins.

The fuel depot stuff is cheaper and fine for the kerosene "rocket" heater in the workshop.

Nope, that doesn't look right. I'll go out tomorrow and get the container.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

QuoteI'm typing this by the light from it now.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rick91351

Have you tried KleanHeat Oil Lamp Fuel?  I think I have found it at HD in gallon jugs and have seen good reviews as well. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Pine Cone

Klean Heat ... Lehman's likes it.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Fuel___KleanHeat_Oil_Lamp_Fuel___52243?Args=

I got some at HD but haven't used it in either my Aladdin lamps or my kerosene heater.

peternap

Quote from: rick91351 on January 19, 2011, 12:05:35 AM
Have you tried KleanHeat Oil Lamp Fuel?  I think I have found it at HD in gallon jugs and have seen good reviews as well. 

That's the stuff I used! [cool]

rick91351

Speaking of Aladdin Lamps I see they make a longer High-Altitude Chimney for Aladdin Oil Lamps as well Aladdin Oil Lamp Light Boosters that fit on top a standard size chimney.  They suggest them for above 4000 does any one use them and is there a real big difference? 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Ah!  I've seen KleanHeat someplace before  ???

The chimney extender / tall chimney makes sense. With lower air density at altitude there's less O2 so I guess extending the chimney may provide more draft, make the air rise faster.  I never thought of that before but I guess candles and lanterns could burn brighter at sea level than at higher altitudes. Another reason to use electricity.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Just a side note about the Aladdin's.

We have a woodstove in the bathroom which is great, if you feel like firing up another stove to take a shower. The Lamp puts out enough heat to warm it up pretty quickly.

Rob_O

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

MountainDon

I looked at the picture of KeanHeat.  I think I have a partly used gallon of that at the cabin.

Maybe that's where I saw it  d* d*

We may snowshoe up there this weekend to find out. I'll never sleep w/o knowing.   ;)

Rob_O

Quote from: MountainDon on January 19, 2011, 07:34:07 PM
I looked at the picture of KeanHeat.  I think I have a partly used gallon of that at the cabin.

We may snowshoe up there this weekend to find out. I'll never sleep w/o knowing.   ;)

I s'pose that's as good a reason as any to make a visit. Get some pictures for us flatlanders

I've read reports that odorless mineral spirits is the same stuff as "lamp oil", and is sometimes available at a lower cost. YMMV, of course.
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

MountainDon

:-[   Well look at this, on the lower shelf in the toolshed....   d*   Had to move some stuff to see it.   :-[

Guess I was right.... I had seen that stuff someplace before. 

peternap