Pexx tubing any thoughts?

Started by ponygirl1, May 30, 2013, 12:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponygirl1

We are consideing Pexx for our cabin plumbing water supply. any thoughts on the do it yourself aspects? Any one have any experience with it? please excuse any typos my key board is ahving a psychotic day.

MushCreek

I've done some PEX, and plan to use it throughout the house I am currently building. I ran into one problem. The gauge that came with the tool (Lowe's) was faulty! I had several leaks, and became discouraged. For some reason, I bought another gauge (different brand) and the one that came with the tool had me crimping way too tight. When re-set to the new gauge, it worked great.

There's a different mind-set with PEX- use lots more tubing, and less fittings. Usually, it is done with a 'home-run' set-up, which means separate lines to each fixture from a manifold to the individual fixture. Advantages are less effect from other plumbing, such as flushing the toilet when someone else is in the shower, and the ability to shut off an individual fixture for repair. It's sort of like the breaker panel for your electrical system. Ideally, you want to minimize or eliminate fittings in the walls where you can't see them or repair them. I have a friend who had PEX professionally (?) installed in his cabin, but the plumber used it like regular pipe, with elbows and tee's galore.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

new land owner

I just did my entire camp with Pex and I could not be happier.  There are a few type of connections out there and I have not leaks in any of mine crimps.  The tool I bought at Lowes has a light on it to tell you when you have crimped tight enough.  I would highly recommend Pex.

Here is a picture of how my system works

ponygirl1

Thanks for the visual. I think it looks so much sleeker. It's  a very elegant solution to cost as well as doing it yourself. The fewer the connections the better I say. It looks to me as if it should be a faster plumb job too. I looked at the cost as I said and the difference between the pex and the standard is huge. The most complicated thing I see is the manifold portion. Shoot even me as a chick with little experience could do it lol. ;) I am of course poking fun at myself since I have glued a ton of plumbing together...and not enjoyed it at all. 
   And OldJarhead thank you for serving. Brad did 26 years in the USAF. I love you JarHeads nobody more straight forward  than a Jarhead. Thanks for the admonishments on the crimping by Mush Creek and Newland owners photos are great. Ill keep you posted. WE get started next spring. I can't wait.

Huge29

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 30, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-and-3-4-in-Dual-PEX-Crimp-Tool-23251/202270489?N=4n3#.UafO55yyl8E
I used this tool and love pex :)
I own teh same one and also love it, great that it has two sizes on it.  Foolproof really, it bottoms out when it is correct.  I have done about four little projects with it and never had any issues.  Just keep in mind that it can't be used within about 18" of the water heater, otherwise there would almost be no need to ever use anything else again.  For $60 you just can't go wrong, renting them is a bit of a pain in having to plan for when you will do crimps, if you are doing a big job you will want to just buy one.  I think you will find that HOme Depot and Lowes are way overpriced when you buy your line and fittings, one of the big money makers.  Buy it from the specialty shops and you will save a lot especially if you have a friend who is a plumber and lets you use his account.  Can't go wrong with PEX.  Another feature that I have not seen mentioned yet is that it has a limited expansion quality too, that can/may save you from broken lines from freezing.  I look forward to seeing your end result.  Another option is that you dont have to do the manifolds at all, if you choose or even have a couple of small manifolds to not have to run 16 lines all the way from the inlet, saving some line and the space for all fo those lines. 

Abbey

I used PEX for my cabin and it's simple to install. Not one leak. I was able to rent the crimper so it saved me some money in that respect.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Huge29 on May 31, 2013, 10:59:50 PM
I own teh same one and also love it, great that it has two sizes on it.  Foolproof really, it bottoms out when it is correct.  I have done about four little projects with it and never had any issues.  Just keep in mind that it can't be used within about 18" of the water heater, otherwise there would almost be no need to ever use anything else again.  For $60 you just can't go wrong, renting them is a bit of a pain in having to plan for when you will do crimps, if you are doing a big job you will want to just buy one.  I think you will find that HOme Depot and Lowes are way overpriced when you buy your line and fittings, one of the big money makers.  Buy it from the specialty shops and you will save a lot especially if you have a friend who is a plumber and lets you use his account.  Can't go wrong with PEX.  Another feature that I have not seen mentioned yet is that it has a limited expansion quality too, that can/may save you from broken lines from freezing.  I look forward to seeing your end result.  Another option is that you dont have to do the manifolds at all, if you choose or even have a couple of small manifolds to not have to run 16 lines all the way from the inlet, saving some line and the space for all fo those lines.

Can't use near a water heater?  Didn't know that....hmmm.....wonder how that will impact me!

John_M

I used Pex and loved it as well.  I went one step further and used the shark-bite fittings.  They are a little pricey, but in my cabin, I didn't have many connections, so it wasn't that expensive.  It was one of the easiest projects in my build and I have never really done any plumbing before!!

The website I used was Pexsupply.com

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

OlJarhead

Quote from: John_M on June 03, 2013, 03:25:07 PM
I used Pex and loved it as well.  I went one step further and used the shark-bite fittings.  They are a little pricey, but in my cabin, I didn't have many connections, so it wasn't that expensive.  It was one of the easiest projects in my build and I have never really done any plumbing before!!

The website I used was Pexsupply.com

Me too -- I use the sharkbites and was VERY happy with how easy it was!

Something I learned though:  pex doesn't do 90 degree bends that well so plan accordingly!  I should have put 90's in a all my corners but didn't and ran the pex around them.  It works but barely.  I've also gone back and cut out the spots where the pex comes through the drywall and put 90's in.  In most cases I've just left as is (under the sink) but plan to cap the 'hole' with a nice piece of stained pine so it doesn't look quite so bad. 

NM_Shooter

PEX is great...

I have the crimp tools and have had zero problems.  They make a new tool which tightens a type of stainless steel zip tie, and I think that one is foolproof.

PEX is easy to install such that you have a single low drain point for getting the water out in the winter.  But even if you don't, I have tested PEX to 10 freeze cycles of a tube of PEX fully filled with water... no air.  No sign of damage to either the pex or the fitting. 

Also... If you bend PEX too tightly, and form a crimp in the tube, you can gently heat it with a heat gun until it goes clear and soft, and when it hardens, it will reform into its original geometry and be no worse for the wear.

One downside of PEX is that it is not UV resistant.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Dave Sparks

PEX should not be used in most instances with solar hot water to and from the collectors. There are a few cases you could but you would need to address failure modes.
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

bending or curving PEX.... there are preformed pieces you snap the PEX into to form and retain the 90 degree bend. They also remove the "want to be straight again" natural tendency of the PEX.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Scotch Please

This post in particular forced me to make an account (I've lurked here for years)!

Truth be told, I had never liked PEX.  Call me old school, but I'd much rather use PVC, or even Copper, than PEX.  I didn't have any substantive gripes against PEX, just didn't enjoy working with it.  Worst I could say is the crimping tool.  Like many things, on paper it's great!  But in real life when you're on top of a ladder, right next to a joist, with a hot light bulb next to your head, water running down your back, etc. etc. getting the crimping tool "Just Right" is a nightmare. 

Fast forward to about 6mos ago when my wife says "I hear water running in the wall".   :(   UGGGHHHhhhhhhh......

So, after 5-6 exploratory holes in the drywall (you know the drill) I narrowed the leak to the top of the frame where the PEX had run above the ceiling, then at a 90' down the wall to a bathroom fixture.  "Weird" I thought, how could it break there?  It's not crimped...it's doesn't appear damaged, nothing.  Well, I'll spare the nasty pants-filling details, but a mouse had fallen into the ceiling compartment (still not sure where it originated) and had no where to go up, no where to go side/side, but it was the stud section with the plunge cut for the PEX.  Guess what happened?  You guessed it, this did:

It's not as if we had an infestation either.  We put traps high and low after this, never caught another then, and still haven't.  A freak occurrence that's likely more evidence of the luck I have than anything to do with PEX, though if it were PVC or Copper, we'd have a dead mouse in the wall we'd never know about.  With PEX, we had a hundred dollar repair under the most ideal conditions imaginable (if we were on vacation.......).  So, I'll think long and hard before I ever need to run another foot of it.

FWIW,