Shed bump out

Started by markert2523, April 19, 2009, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

OK,

My $75 architect is busy drawing up construction drawings on my planned manshed. I had originally posted my rough drawings here:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6807.0

I'm wondering about adding a bump out to the rear of the shed to give me a place to stash amplifiers, etc so they can be up and out of the way.  It will run about 6' along the rear wall and start about 4' or so from the floor and extend up to the ceiling.  I don't think it will violate the spirit of the 200SF permit limit in my city since it is not really part of the floor plan.

Just wondering if it's possible to do this and have it be structurally sound.  Thinking about just making the "floor" of the bump out by attaching 2x4 to each of the vertical 2x4 at the wall and the angling a 2x4 piece from the edge of the bump out back to the wall for support.  Clear as mud?  Something like the attached rough drawing.  Is this feasible?

John Raabe

Yes, this should not be a structural problem. Build a header over the rear bearing wall to take most of the roof load off the cantilevered shelf wall. Then have a beam under the outside edge of the shelf and support this back into the wall with struts. I'd suggest using 4x4 struts that land on double wall studs at the sill plates (thus at a shallower angle than you show). That way there is less of a lever arm action on the wall and you could have a strut at midspan as well as each end.

Put you man to work sizing the beams for your local snow loads. :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Does the city have to approve the plans before you begin construction? Depending on the folks in the building department, they could disapprove the plan on the basis of it violating the intent of the 200 sq. ft ordinance. It depends.  ???  Might be worth checking out before going ahead.   ??? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Thanks for the replies.

MountainDon, the city only requires a site plan showing the location of the accessory building and a floor plan.  I would likely not show the bump out on the floor plan since it is not part of the "floor".  A tad risky, I guess, but most dealings with inspectors here have been pretty friendly and I don't think it will be a problem.

John, I like the idea of the larger struts and only having them at the ends and the midspan.  That wall will have a double 2x6 top beam anyway and this seems likely to be sufficient for the roof load if I put a vertical post in the center of the bump out.  I guess the "opening" framing will essentially be similar to framing for a double 36" window, except with double cripples( I think that's what I would call them)  where the struts and the middle vertical beam are.

Thanks again