Opening day of the regular Deer season...for everyone but me

Started by peternap, November 15, 2008, 07:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Nice lamps. Do they work well on reg kerosene? I was once told they need clear lamp oil... that kero causes some type of problem.   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cordwood

Quote from: karnf on November 16, 2008, 10:41:54 PM
Thanks cordwood. Glad you found you heaven. But my only problem is I hunt animals with a camera not a gun. Actually, its not a problem at all for me. Maybe your game wardens could straighten up unlawful hunting in Evening Shade? What a way to keep the wildlife balance in check in your state for you and future generations in Arkansas.
Managed hunting programs are all that keep the wildlife healthy here. With very few predatory animals left in the wild animals like deer and turkey would over populate the area and result in sick & diseased animals. Like it or not some hunting is necessary.
I have lived in quite a few states and I don't recall one that has NO HUNTING signs on the welcome to sign. Arkansas is not the only state that hunts. ::)
I grew up in Southern California and it was nothing like 90210, The first day of dove season sounded like a John Wayne movie! But I also guided people who wanted to photograph wildlife to the quail guzzles (Man made watering holes in the hills) so they could shoot some up close. Now those places are almost gone completely, Not from hunting but from prolific breeding humans building house after house and taking away the natural habitat and spraying the land with pesticides so they wont have bugs.
When you see a hunter you see someone destroying something, When a hunter sees you cutting, clearing and building he/she sees you as the destroyer.
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

southernsis

Peter, sorry that this got off the topic. I do not hate where I live, I just do not like how the mind set is. Back to hunting, I drove 2 miles up to the gas station yesterday and there was nothing laying in the road. On my return, in the middle of the road was a deer that had been killed. It was a doe and who ever just took the choicest cuts and threw the rest in the road.
I like your lamps. Grew up on a farm in the middle of now where and had to rely on those kind of lamps. Power was always going out.
Sorry to hear about your dad. My mother is 98 and just fell and broke her hip. Hope things get better.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

apaknad

sorry about your dad peter. my mom was admitted to hospice last tues. 93 y.o. w/ inoperable cancer. she refused chemo. similar problems. body wearing out. :(
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Too bad about your dad, Peter.  The old one way ticket will only take us so far and some of us may be ready to get off before the train grinds to a halt if the ride has been bumpy.  I wish for the best that it can be.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Great pix, Peter!  I also wish the best for your dad...  I know how hard it is to have sick parents - I miss mine a lot...  it's hard not being able to talk to them when I want to - or show them our progress on our place etc. 

Yesterday I went down to the valley for a birthday party for my 6 y/o granddaughter.   Then visited my friend - she's 89 now & has been like a 2nd mother - I call her my "spiritual" mother as I got to know her & her husband really well after I 1st became a Christian.  She is so tiny...  probably the most loving, generous person I have ever met in my life!  Right now she's in a rehab home - has severe heart disease, diverticulosis, broke her hip & wrist last year & just hasn't been the same; has been in & out of the hospital this past month.  She's always been such a go-getter - it is sad to see her so weak, but I know she is ready to go "home"...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free