Concrete Siding?

Started by DaveOrr, June 24, 2014, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveOrr

Just wondering if anyone has used this product.
I'm thinking it would be advantageous to use it in my area, along with steel roof due to the possibility of fires.
This stuff looks really interesting and has a natural look to it all while having a 3 hr fire rating.    [cool]

http://everlogs.com/product_siding.php
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

rick91351

Quote from: DaveOrr on June 24, 2014, 09:52:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used this product.
I'm thinking it would be advantageous to use it in my area, along with steel roof due to the possibility of fires.
This stuff looks really interesting and has a natural look to it all while having a 3 hr fire rating.    [cool]

http://everlogs.com/product_siding.php

We used a paint stained concrete - thirty year warranty.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

John Raabe

That's a good looking siding job!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dave Sparks

Rick,

Does the siding have the 30 year or the paint/stain?  Very nice color!
"we go where the power lines don't"

rick91351

Quote from: Dave Sparks on June 25, 2014, 02:56:00 PM
Rick,

Does the siding have the 30 year or the paint/stain?  Very nice color!

They say thirty years on the paint and stain.  Thanks we like the color and idea of fire deterrent with the concrete....  We will have a little 'raw wood' under the porches but will be well away from a fire should that occur.  Planing a green zone and a large water tank with a fire pump.....  This property and mountain above us and over to the village are the only places up here since '92 and last years huge infernos that has not burnt in anyones memories.......
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Dave Sparks

What is on the tar paper BTW?  Looks like a weather cloth?  Please tell us who makes the paint/stain,  Rhino?

Windpower

We used James Hardie. Very happy with it.

It was more labor intense and slower to put up I think

this is day two IIRC

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

Quote from: Dave Sparks on June 27, 2014, 08:38:14 AM
What is on the tar paper BTW?  Looks like a weather cloth?  Please tell us who makes the paint/stain,  Rhino?

The white on the roof is a special underlayment recommended for up here.  The dark is ice -snow shield.  The owner of the roofing company came up and put it on by himself.  Went on very quickly and got  us dried in.  According to him it would have lasted the winter no problem.  Will not blow off so he claims.  We had to put some board up there however after one violent wind storm.

The siding is Certainteed - This is pre-painted in Portland, Or from what we understand.   

http://www.certainteed.com/freedomofchoice/product-weather-boards.aspx

Windpower:  I love Hardie siding! Great product.  But we just could not find a Hardie color or a Hardie painter that would do what we wanted for the look we wanted for up here.     

Dave Sparks

Thanks!
We used Certainteed for the same reason but ours was just painted with a light grey. When we built 10 years ago we wanted a ceder color but we thought it would make the house hot in our climate. Along came the mini split heat pump  and cooling is no longer an issue.
I may ask Certainteed if they could sell that color. Do you think it could be done Do it your self?

Quote from: rick91351 on June 27, 2014, 09:28:08 AM
The white on the roof is a special underlayment recommended for up here.  The dark is ice -snow shield.  The owner of the roofing company came up and put it on by himself.  Went on very quickly and got  us dried in.  According to him it would have lasted the winter no problem.  Will not blow off so he claims.  We had to put some board up there however after one violent wind storm.

The siding is Certainteed - This is pre-painted in Portland, Or from what we understand.   

http://www.certainteed.com/freedomofchoice/product-weather-boards.aspx

Windpower:  I love Hardie siding! Great product.  But we just could not find a Hardie color or a Hardie painter that would do what we wanted for the look we wanted for up here.   

rick91351

Quote from: Dave Sparks on June 28, 2014, 09:14:46 AM
Thanks!
We used Certainteed for the same reason but ours was just painted with a light grey. When we built 10 years ago we wanted a ceder color but we thought it would make the house hot in our climate. Along came the mini split heat pump  and cooling is no longer an issue.
I may ask Certainteed if they could sell that color. Do you think it could be done Do it your self?

We bought one gallon of both the light and dark....  You first paint on the lighter brown then dark and wipe it down or we were told squeegee it off the dark will be trapped in the wood grain..... 

Dave Sparks

Thank-you !  I am not sure I could put that kind of labor in but it does look very nice. I probably will use a Kelly Moore Acri-Shield Semi and just try and get the ceder color close. The ceder color in the pix of the wood shed is close but....