Update. kinda long post

Started by zion-diy, December 30, 2009, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zion-diy

New year approaching, time for an update. finally figured out photobucket.(thanks mountian don) so I'll post a link to album. hope this works...

https://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/zion-dyi/Als%20race%20cars/house%20pics/

well, hard to believe but,we've been living in the house we built by ourselfs for a little over 3 years. Of course we are never finished. things have been trying at times. tornado in 07, followed a flood.
then ice storm in 09, coupled with a non-summer,(record rainfall this year). still, no real complaints.(except hard to get to firewood)
added onto the house this year. built a combo sunroom, computor room, spare bedroom. needed the space for grandkids invasion.
when building the addition, I simply unscrewed most of the wood. some of you may remember my entire house was screwed together.only one broken screw in the siding. all others were re-used :-)
Anyway, wanted to wish everyone here a happy new year
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

n74tg

Congrats on 3 years of living in what you built.  Eventually, I will get there too.

What kind of siding do you have on the house?
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

zion-diy

I've followed your progress, and I know you'll make it.
the siding was rough cut 1x8's. of course they were mostly 1 1/4" x 8 1/2 to 12 inches wide.
first we dried them for almost a year, then painted the back side with any scrap paint we had
with bug killer mixed in. then we double coated the outside with cedar stain. put them up with screws
as lap siding. so far, we haven't had to re-stain yet. only one board on the west side gable, shrunk a
little and split where the end screw was. I guess I drilled that hole a little too close to the edge.
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

lockman

zion-diy