Cutting Rafter Tails Smaller?

Started by Willy, April 11, 2008, 09:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I don't think this is a problem but will ask anyways. Since my rafters are going to be 2x10s the tails will be pretty wide to trim out. I was thinking of cutting them at the eaves down to the bird mouth cut and make them a 2x6 on the part that sticks out into the eaves. It would not affect the strength of the rafter holding up the load in the span but allow me to use a 2x6 on the edge of the roof. Is this OK? You can see in the picture I used 2x6 rafters on the porch so by cutting the 2x10s it would make them all the same size. Mark

PEG688

Quote from: Willy on April 11, 2008, 09:27:23 AM

I don't think this is a problem but will ask anyways. Since my rafters are going to be 2x10s the tails will be pretty wide to trim out. I was thinking of cutting them at the eaves down to the bird mouth cut and make them a 2x6 on the part that sticks out into the eaves. It would not affect the strength of the rafter holding up the load in the span but allow me to use a 2x6 on the edge of the roof.

Is this OK? Mark

It depends on how / where you intend to cut the tail down.

Similar to this way ,

then it's OK .
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Hey nice job , how'd you add to your post without it saying you edited it? Maybe out added the photo right away ? / within a couple of minutes ??

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Willy

Quote from: PEG688 on April 11, 2008, 09:37:48 AM

Hey nice job , how'd you add to your post without it saying you edited it? Maybe out added the photo right away ? / within a couple of minutes ??

I just clicked on Modife and added the picture. Not to up on this computer stuff.
    On the rafter tails yes like in your picture but not that thin. I am tring to match the 2x6s on the porch. These little cabins sure take a lot of wood to build! If I spread it out to 24" on center it would have made a regular sized home! It is going to be fun putting the 14 ft ones up but I have a plan. I will be standing on the porch attic roof so I won't need a ladder on the 12 ft high end. Mark

MountainDon

I believe Glenn has it set to allow a 600 second interval for edits
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

Mark     Your place is coming along very nicely. Looks Great.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on April 11, 2008, 10:04:35 AM

I believe Glenn has it set to allow a 600 second interval for edits

You even counted the seconds, Don.  Yes -- I make too many mistakes and re-types to have less than ten minutes to re-read and straighten my posts out.  Couldn't have everyone  thinking I was illiterate.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: John C on April 11, 2008, 11:00:43 AM
Mark     Your place is coming along very nicely. Looks Great.
Thanks! Got all the rafters up and tails cut to 2x6 size so they all match. Sure was a lot of blocking to do the roof! Mark