PEG688 thanks for the help. Here is my change

Started by Willy, February 17, 2008, 08:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I decided to not use the porch attic as a loft space but to add a second floor like is done in this picture.

I figure I will just raise my wall up a little more to give me the head room remove the porch over hang in that area needed for the second floor as you can see in this picture.

I will do it different then the top picture as it will be turned and the windows be looking over the porch in the second picture. This will give me my head room, roof rafters all above the walls and still have a nice loft because the back short wall can go up some more to give more height inside. It also gives me view windows from the second floor. Mark

PEG688

Glad I could help  [cool]

It would be even cooler if I knew what I said or did to change / upgrade your plan idea ???    :)  But anyway  8)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Willy

Quote from: PEG688 on February 17, 2008, 10:57:53 PM

Glad I could help  [cool]

It would be even cooler if I knew what I said or did to change / upgrade your plan idea ???    :)  But anyway  8)
Well after you mentioned the rafter tie in to the beam on the porch I relised I forgot about the insulation on the 2x6 rafters. Then with all the problems adding the porch attic space just to get some more loft room ect. This way I could still use the porch attic space but not as loft living area. By raising the roof up only above the original walls I can get a higher loft head room and make use of the whole area over the bath room and kitchen which is 12 ft wide. I was tring to get more floor space using the porch attic but just raising the exsisting walls more gives me the whole space now. New problem is doing all this in ballance to make it look right. I don't want to pay extra permit fees so I do not want this to be legal living space with 8 ft head room. Having a wall much taller then the building is deep makes for a skyscraper look. This is where ballance will come into play in a new design.  So I need to decide just how much head room looks right from outside the structure. Mark

Homegrown Tomatoes

Mark, I like that first picture... pretty nifty looking place...

Willy

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on February 19, 2008, 12:38:57 PM
Mark, I like that first picture... pretty nifty looking place...
In that first picture it would not be the best for a high snow area. That long roof with a small pitch would hold tons of snow. But in areas where that is not a problem it is a neat design. Mark