Tieing 2 different Rafter Hights together on a shed roof?

Started by Willy, January 13, 2008, 01:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I have been tring to draw up a detail of a wall up on the roof pitch and have a idea but have seen Cad pictures on this site showing stud/rafter lay outs. Can some one show me a Cad Picture of how you would put a wall between to different height roof 2X8 rafters? What I am doing is raising part of the roof 2 ft higher(same pitch) on a shed roof but only the last 10 ft of a 24 ft long 5/12 pitch roof. The outside and end walls are easy but where the rafters are laid out on the roof there is a section that is 2 ft higher crossing the roof pitch and a wall is needed to drop down from the higher rafter to the lower rafter. This wall will not go to the floor but is to attach the siding to the rafters in the middle of the roof only on the 2 ft high seperation of them. I hope what I said make sence with out a picture? This wall needs to be a 2X6 Wall for insulation reasons and go under the top rafter and along the side to the bottom of the lower 2X8 Rafter. If you looked downwards at the rafters they are side to side not directly on top of each other. Thanks for any ideas you can show to build this. Mark

Willy

What I thought you could do was just build a 2X6 wall 24" high on the same 5/12 angle and nail the top plate under the upper rafter(flush to the outside edge) and nail the lower rafter to side of this wall bottom plate flush with the bottom of the lower rafter. Is this correct and add a backing block to the top of this wall for the interior ceiling material to nail to since the upper rafter is now being used to hold the 2 ft high wall. I would also add blocking between the 2 ft long 2X6 studs to nail the siding to on the bottom part of this wall above the lower rafter. Mark

glenn kangiser

I'm not a great framer, Mark, that's PEG's department,  but it sounds like you are on the right track.  I do what I need to get by. 

I assume you will run lookouts above the top rafter for an overhang, and it seems you will need a double rafter spaced for the ceiling nailing won't you?  I assume ceiling is going on the bottom of the rafters.

There is a free framing manual in the free stuff section - you can download and print if you want although it may not cover this issue.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 13, 2008, 02:06:50 AM
I'm not a great framer, Mark, that's PEG's department,  but it sounds like you are on the right track.  I do what I need to get by. 

I assume you will run lookouts above the top rafter for an overhang, and it seems you will need a double rafter spaced for the ceiling nailing won't you?  I assume ceiling is going on the bottom of the rafters.

There is a free framing manual in the free stuff section - you can download and print if you want although it may not cover this issue.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf
Yes there will be a 12 inch overhang (middle of the roof) on the upper rafter and all the eves will also be 12 inches . I will have to flash the lower roof to the short wall but the way the roof metal lays out on it I will have a extra 6 inches of waste I can bend up square and put the siding on top of it for a real good drip seal on the wall. I will down load that information. Thanks, Mark

Willy

Great Download Information and I saved a file of it! I saw a picture in there that covers this and explains what I was tring to do. It looks like it will save some wood doing it there way also. I think I better look at the free stuff more now. Thanks, Mark

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.