What the cost??

Started by Oughted, October 10, 2023, 11:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oughted

I am looking into building the 1 and 1/2 story wondering what the cost has been for some of you , less the land , trying to put a plan in order any help thank you

Oughted

Adam Raabe

Quote from: Oughted on October 10, 2023, 11:52:56 PMI am looking into building the 1 and 1/2 story wondering what the cost has been for some of you , less the land , trying to put a plan in order any help thank you
Hi Oughted,

If you take a look at the search page: https://www.countryplans.com/search.html you can type in something like "1.5 Story Costs" or "1 1/2 Story Cost" etc. and then you should find a good amount of discussion about the costs for that plan set from over the years. Of course you'll need to extrapolate price changes etc., but should help give you some sense.

Also, as a way to get a more solid estimate, some folks just buy a set of plans and take the materials list over to their local building supply house to get it priced out accurately.

Hope this helps!

Alasdair

Quote from: Adam Raabe on October 14, 2023, 03:46:46 PMAlso, as a way to get a more solid estimate, some folks just buy a set of plans and take the materials list over to their local building supply house to get it priced out accurately.

I built this plan a few years ago. This is what I did. Of course you will also need to price ground work, plant hire, concrete, etc. and get quotes for any parts you are not permitted to do yourself, depending on your location. 
Another way to get a ball park figure is to look at similar sized new builds in your area. About half their cost will be labour.

billy boy

Costs can vary a lot based on location, materials, and your specific plans. My advice would be to get a few local quotes from contractors—they can give you a better ballpark based on your area.

OlJarhead

Hard to answer for me since I started my build in 2009...prices were considerably cheaper then ;)

rothbard

I'm about halfway to a shell on the single / 600 sq ft.

Costs (everything beyond foundation based on approximate local prices)

land ~35k
foundation 6k including excavator rental.  Concrete footer + short fully grouted crawlspace CMU stem wall (kind of like Squrl)
Platform 4k
Framing 11k
Siding + roofing projected to be about another 10k
electric 15k to run about 1000 ft, most of that by the utility company
septic 10k to have done professionally

I expect to spend 30k on the shell, 30k on utilities and their connections, 30k on land, and anywhere from 10k to 30k on finishing the interior afterwards were I to repeat it now.

Southern Arizona

OlJarhead

Nice post!  Appreciate your sharing it.  Hard to keep track of what mine was in today's money ;)