Proper splicing of top/bottom plates

Started by markar, May 20, 2009, 10:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markar

Preparing to order the small house plans and build a small little cabin at my parents farm. Have to remove a dilapidated old rental mobile home first which is turning into more trouble than I thought it would be.

I've helped frame a garage and a few small sheds but never really paid much attention to how splices were handled on the plates of wall sections. Is there a specific way those should be handled? If I remember correctly, the plate should break over a stud but I'm just not sure what the standard procedure is. Thanks!

Mark

MountainDon

Correct, bottom and top plates break over a stud. Then the upper plate should overlap any of the splices in the top plate by 4 feet or more.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

That is good practice, the book only requires a 24" or longer lap, more is more better. It is also required to weave laps of intersecting walls or use a  minimum 3x6 galvanized plate with 6- 8d nails each side. Remember to stack framing whenever possible, studs over joists, rafters over studs.

MountainDon

Good point on corners and mid run intersections. The upper plate will make things a lot stiffer when properly executed.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markar

Thank you! I thought that was how it was done but wasn't sure. Hope to start on the small cabin later in the summer or early fall. Eventually, we plan to build a larger home there when our daughter is out of school and on her own but that's a few years away still.

Must say, there is a ton of information to be found here. By far the best reference for building that I've found plus it's refreshing to see what people can do on their own.

Mark