Pull over law - a new way to get a BIG ticket

Started by John Raabe, August 19, 2012, 07:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

A new driving infraction in most states. Sent by a friend:

While driving across Arizona a few weeks ago, I observed an Arizona Hiway patrolman parked on the side of the freeway with his lights flashing for no apparent reason. I soon reasoned that he was probably waiting for some unsuspecting soul to violate the new law. Beware my friend.

Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 10:31:42 -070 I received this today. From the size of that fine it seems like it would be best to slow down to 20 MPH under the speed limit AND move over.

I was aware of the move over to outer lane and knew to slow down, but I didn't know about the 20 mph under speed limit. Thought maybe this might be good information to pass on. Someone added: This happened to my aunt on the four lane right outside of Dyersburg , TN a few months ago. Her ticket was over $300 and it cost her three points on her license, too. A state trooper and a county cop had someone else pulled over. She slowed down and moved over a little, but not all the way into the other lane. The trooper wasn't understanding at all. Mom was with her and she didn't know about the law either. NEW TRAFFIC LAW - 2010 If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) OR slow down to at least 20 mph under the posted speed limit. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law. In California , the Move-over law became operative on January 1, 2010 ..

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/ A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was two police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket was $754, with three points on his license and a mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know who drives about this new law. It is true (see details at the following web addresses). This same law applies to tow trucks and medical emergency vehicles like ambulances on the side of the road.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/ > http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peternap

This is Va's statute:

Quote§ 46.2-921.1. Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce speed when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways; penalties.

A. The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, red, or amber light or lights as provided in § 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, or 46.2-1024 or subdivision A 1 or A 2 of § 46.2-1025 shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the stationary vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.

B. A violation of any provision of this section shall be punishable as a traffic infraction, except that a second or subsequent violation of any provision of this section, when such violation involved a vehicle with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue or red lights, shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

C. If the violation resulted in damage to property of another person, the court may, in addition, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than one year. If the violation resulted in injury to another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than two years. If the violation resulted in the death of another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for two years.

D. The provisions of this section shall not apply in highway work zones as defined in § 46.2-878.1.

(2002, cc. 163, 341; 2008, c. 818; 2010, c. 289.)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

Here in Minnesota there isn't a specific speed you need to drop when passing, but you must move over if at all possible.  You can also be ticketed based on a report filed by the emergency workers up to 4 hours later.  Emergency worker status is given to almost any vehicle parked on the side of the roadway with some kind of warning lights.

That being said, I was taught this many years ago, so I almost do it as a matter of habit, even if it is only a disabled vehicle.  You just never know when someone is going to appear or where.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Squirl

Huge29

Similar law has been in effect in Utah for about two years; my sister just got cited for this and apparently had not ever heard of it.  It is purely common sense and I see many violate it.  I wonder if there is a better way to communicate that to everyone.  It was all over the news for a solid few weeks when originally going into effect.

Whitlock

So if you are in a 25mph zone you have to slow down to 5mph or 15mph in a 35mph zone?
Hope this dosen't happen to me in a 15mph zone I will have to put it in reverse :-\
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

rick91351

I was wondering why the new signage on most of the state roads here.   ???  Pretty much something I always do anyway.....   

However I had never seen the statute here nor the attached fine.  So with a little research - Thanks Mr. Google!!  Looks like Idaho's Move Over Law was codified in 2006, changed or amended in 2007, and again in 2011 to the current form.  I would assume it would fall under an inattentive driving fine and would pack a very huge fine and point loss.  In Idaho inattentive driving is a heavy hitter almost up there with DUI.

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 6
RULES OF THE ROAD
49-624. DRIVER DUTY UPON APPROACHING A STATIONARY POLICE VEHICLE OR AN AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE DISPLAYING FLASHING LIGHTS. The driver of a motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary police vehicle displaying flashing lights or an authorized emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights shall:
(1)  If the driver is traveling on a highway with two (2) or more lanes carrying traffic in the same direction, immediately reduce the speed of his vehicle below the posted speed limit, proceed with due caution and, if traveling in a lane adjacent to the stationary police vehicle displaying flashing lights or the authorized emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights, change lanes into a lane that is not adjacent to such vehicle as soon as it is possible to do so in a manner that is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing, with regard to actual and potential hazards.
(2)  If the driver is traveling on a highway with one (1) lane for each direction of travel, immediately reduce the speed of his vehicle below the posted speed limit, and maintain a safe speed for the road, weather and traffic conditions until completely past the stationary police vehicle or authorized emergency vehicle.

History:
[49-624, added 2006, ch. 78, sec. 1, p. 237; am. 2007, ch. 113, sec. 1, p. 328; am. 2011, ch. 17, sec. 1, p. 54.]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Huge29

It is just common sense; so unfortunate that common sense now has to be enforced legislatively.  Here are two tragedies from just the last two weeks from people not abiding by common sense. 
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=21915094
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21817823