Recoat bathtub with truck bed liner?

Started by CREATIVE1, April 28, 2008, 04:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

I saw this idea in a magazine.  Maybe use a product like this

http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/automotive_become_dealer.asp

The article mentioned they were going for a "natural" look that blended with the stone tub surround.

Comments?

Redoverfarm

I don't think I will venture on this idea. They make resurfacing kits for claw foot tubs and if done correctly turns out OK.  Or to go the extra mile there are places that specialize in resurfacing. 

MountainDon

I've never checked into tub refinishing myself so have no idea about the costs. However, I have seen tub that were professionally refinished and they were beautiful. There was no way I would have thought they were refinished if I had not been told.

So, how does the price compare between a truck bed finish and an actual tub refinish?

My other thought is this. We have a shower pan that has a pronounced textured finish. We also have a tub with a mild texture on the bottom and a whirlpool that has a gloss smooth finish. The whirlpool is much easier to clean and keep clean than either of the textured finishes. The shower pan has the most pronounced texture, and is very comfortable/safe to stand on. However it requires more scrubbing to keep it clean looking. All the truck bed finishes I've seen have texture.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cholland

cast iron tubs and sinks can be powder coated and turn out really nice.  A friend of mine runs a welding / powder coating business and has done a few claw foot tubs that turned out beautiful.  Still costs a few hundred dollars.  Most shops charge a minimum fee of $100-200 set-up and to run the oven.

CREATIVE1

The reason this looked interesting is because it came in colors and textures that went along with rustic materials.  It can be self-applied or applied on site by a professional. It seems that you could patch it more invisibly than a smooth surface.  BUT From reading the post regarding cleaning textured surfaces, maybe this is one of those ideas that seems smart but creates problems down the line. 

ScottA

There is a spray on tub coating made. I think it's some sort of epoxy paint. The issue with cleaning is real. The surface needs to be as smooth as possible to make it easy to clean.

akemt

Home Depot (and assumably Lowes as well) sell tub/shower resurfacing kits...plastic, ceramic, whatever.  Just make sure you buy the right one.  We used a kit on ours durring the remodel.  The thing was sandwhiched between 3 walls and there was no way we were going to try to replace it.  Didn't have the time or energy to remove a wall or two, either.  Bagh.  One suggestion --keep the room WELL ventilated and be preferably wear a nice 3M hazmat-type mask.  ;)  You'll get high really quick on that stuff.  You do have to follow the directions really closely.  Ours was a roll-on type and wasn't very expensive at all.  $20-50 to do the whole tub and surround?
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

CREATIVE1

So how did it work and how is it holding up?

akemt

Worked fine.  Be sure to use a roller and not a brush for good coverage.  Don't know how it is holding up...we've since moved.
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

My son had one done with epoxy - had a bit of a wait for it to cure hard.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.