anyone build a cottage with ICF?

Started by scott_in_maine, January 09, 2007, 10:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott_in_maine

Im new to the forum. Im looking to build a cottage in maine  this summer / fall. I love the plans on this site and will likely order one. However i was wondering if anyone has had experience with using Insulated Concrete Forms? they are the foam blocks that get filled with concrete.  If anyone has any info or advice, im glad to hear it.  Im i n Belize on extended business, but check my email all day. Any help is appreciated. ~Scott

jraabe

ICF is most commonly used in basement construction when the space will be finished and heated, or... in places where wood framing is going to be under insect attack such as Florida. For Maine I would think 2x6 wood framing (for above grade walls) would be the most cost effective, especially if you plan to work on it yourself.

Rover

Sorry to side track,
but love the rover in your member icon.  Is that your defender?  My pride and joy is a 1965, 88" wheelbase with canvas top.  Its been with me for 15 yrs.
Welcome to the forum.

glenn-k

I haven't worked on an ICF house but have worked on a 2 story ICF building.  They are easy to work with.  Some are better than others.  My cousin does quite a few of them in Oregon.

scott_in_maine

I have been doing some research on ICF and am very interested in it. It claimes to be much more efficent, quieter and a slightly faster build. Im a bit skeptical of all that. Im not sure just how efficient a 20X24 cottage can and should be. I suppose those of you who are finished could shed some light on that?  I have found lots of sites, even a few youtube videos on icf. But this site seems to be the best.  http://www.icfhomes.com   Im not associated with any ICF business, just looking for feedback from folks who have already done the job im attempting. Ill be building in mid summer 07 in Maine. I appreciate all of your advice. feel free to send me images of what your cottage looks like if you want.

Scott

PS
[timestamp=1168476743]

Someone asked about the Land Rover. My wife and I own a small european salvage business in Maine, thus the rover icon.

glenn-k

The one I worked on was an office building.  I did the structural steel and worked with the guys as they fit the steel to the walls - informed them of beams they missed, welded beams and columns, decking, etc.  What I am saying is that if that group of guys could do it, anyone can do it.  Nearly all of them had a few abuse problems.

My cousin has used several types and last said that he liked Reward Walls the best because the blocks were able to be used more efficiently.  Right side up or upside down - great because you can use both pieces if you cut one in half for a door or window.  Less waste.  There were other things about them he liked also.  Seemed it had to do with the placement of the rebar in it - something about Reward was better as far as clearances went if I remember right.

After he poured the walls he had a jig he made for his chain saw so the end wouldn't hit the concrete, then he'd just run it along the concrete ripping the foam for wire and plumbing channels etc.

You would need an engineer familiar with the system to draw and stamp the plans for most building departments.

He said stacking the blocks etc does go fast.

Amanda_931

Somebody here did their basement (at least) with them.

He put a lot more bracing than was called for.  Had no, or only very minor blow-outs.  With pictures.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1157081347

Amanda_931

Somebody (TBA) here did their basement with them, think it was Reward walls..

He put a lot more bracing than was called for.  Had no, or only very minor blow-outs.  With pictures.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1157081347

See also:

https://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/boodaaw/

glenn-k

Here is a stack of ICF's on my frozen mountain job yesterday and day before.... 19 and 20 degrees F.  I'm glad it warmed up the second day. ::)

I think these are called Logix forms. They are one direction only - if you use 1/2 of a block you throw the rest away.

This is supposed to be some sort of log cabin home over an ICF basement.  The columns I installed stick up 18 feet above first floor and weigh near 2000 lbs each.  They are 4"x20"x 1/2" wall steel tube.