weight of posts

Started by tesa, January 28, 2009, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

daniel and i are very close to building our RV cover

by the way, thanks to all those who helped with the design

wondering if anyone might know the weight of a 20 foot 4x6 post?

i tried to poke around the net, and i found a calculator based on boardfeet, and it said 120lbs.

i guess that just seemed a bit light

but hey, i've never worked with such things before, so i thought i'd
ask those in the know

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

rwanders

120 sounds about right----but actual weight will vary some due to differences in the density of species of tree and moisture content. 
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

tesa

thanks! so you think three grown-ups in fairly good shape could get one in the ground?

well, actually 10, but if we can do 1, we can do 10

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

rwanders

Two cautions:

Be prepared to let go and move quickly if it begins to get away from you and;

Might be wise to attach one or two 2x4 braces at least to the first one to help provide leverage while you are lifting and also to hold it plumb after you get in the hole.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

fishing_guy

Quote from: tesa on January 28, 2009, 10:22:08 PM
thanks! so you think three grown-ups in fairly good shape could get one in the ground?

well, actually 10, but if we can do 1, we can do 10

tesa

In my experience the first post will be the lightest...the last post will be the heaviest...

But take your time...and be prepared to bail if it gets away from you.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

lonelytree

Wear gloves. Those splinters hurt and can become infected.

Good luck,
Mike

Don_P

One trick if you don't want to rig the post and lift vertically to drop it in a hole is to put a couple of boards down into the hole opposite the side you are bringing it in from. the foot of the post can then ride down the boards rather than digging into the soil and ending up with loose dirt under the post on your footings. My wife and I have been installing 12 foot black locust 6x6's the last couple of weeks around the garden. About that weight but much shorter, its been doable but it sorta resembles work. Dang long legged mice  ;D.

tesa

thanks everyone!

i'm actually gonna lay low on that project, its husband, and two very strong friends,

tesa