pole barn with loft?

Started by saltwater redneck, February 05, 2012, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltwater redneck

I am looking into buildng a pole barn with loft to live in till we get our house built. I am looking for something simple That would provide a loft with one bedroom, one bath and open kitchen to den layout.
I really like this thread
://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11112.0
Any idea as to a basic cost of this or a smiliar build? Just the main structure finished out to live in and I will finish the lower barn area later.
Thanks
Lee

saltwater redneck

I realize an exact figure is hard to give, I am hoping the structure could be built and appliances for 40,000 plus well, septic and elec hookup. Am I anywhere even close? I will doing as much of the work as I can.
Thanks
Lee

glenn kangiser

I have seen a lot done with less Money than that if you do the work mostly by yourself Lee.  w* TO THE FORUM.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

saltwater redneck

Thanks. this is a reat site, there are so many people here that have built some really cool homes.
Is there a way for me to get a better idea of costs without buying plans yet? I was really hoping someone here had built something similiar and could give me some real cost figures.
I like the barn/apartment that Fritz is building but I think he is gone from the board for a while.
Lee

river place

We have our 30 by 40 barn built for 10k then 4k for concrete floor.  Were building a guest suite on ground floor at one end.  Ours uses trusses so not easy to build a loft.

saltwater redneck

I have been doing a little sketching, this is what I have. The center is 16'x 60'.  I have laid out a simple 1bed, 1bath and open kitchen/den floorplan.
26 footers with 16'posts -  not sure what size?
16'x72' concrete pad
main floor is 16'x60'
each roof is 24'x60'
there are 2 walls 5'x60'
maybe 25' of internal walls
planning on sheetrock and laminate flooring

Is this enough info to start getting a basic materials cost?

saltwater redneck

this is some basic costs that I have figured, please tell me if you think I am way off anywhere

20,000 for closed in structure w/  shingles, sheetrock, laminate flooring, deck and stairs, doors and windows
plus
elec wiring, plumbing doing as much as I can=2000?
cabinets/hopefully used=500?
appliances<stove,fridge,dishwasher,hood-microwave,=2100
bath, tub, toilet, sink= 800
16x60 concrete pad=?
central heat and air unit and ducting=?