New and in need of advise

Started by lillybean, April 18, 2005, 05:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lillybean

Hi all!   :)

A little about my dilemma: We bought our house about a year ago.  Mainly for the backyard, it's HUGE!  Good for my husband, he's been dreaming of building his own shop since we met.  So, the 30'x60' shop is completed.  Now, there is still plenty of yard.  Too much, in fact.  I've been trying to dream up ways to spruce it up.   What I have is a view of a 60' wall of metal that spans the shop.  This is what I look at when I open the doors to my patio.  Not lovely, eh?   Definitely need something to take the eye off that eyesore.  

At first I was thinking greenhouse.  But, who am I kidding, I'm not that great a gardener.  So I was thinking potting shed.  But the expanse is just too much, I need something bigger.  I've finally decided on building me a little cabin.  Just for me.  (hey, he has his toy, this will be mine)  Okay, that's settled.  Here's the problem...   Most of the cabins I find are so tall.  The shop is 12' at the highest point, and I certainly don't want to over peak, it would look strange.  In keeping with the respective heights of the shop and my home, I'm needing to find something who's top height is under that.  Also, I want a porch.  Okay, must have one!   ;D  I'm dreaming of lazy days on a porch swing, smelling the honeysuckle that I've transplanted all down my south fence.  So the pitch would need to include a porch.  

I will be using this as my personal space.  In it will have places for my gardening stuff, to pot plants (hoping to have the effect of an old kitchen to work on), and maybe hold gardening tools.  Also, the usual cabin stuff, table, chairs, bed.  My own little getaway.  There'll be no need for a kitchen or bathroom, since it's in my backyard.  No need for a loft.  Just a simple basic one room structure would suffice.  It can be up to 24' in length and up to 20' in depth (including the porch area).  Also, I'm planning on using recycled materials (still having to pay for the monster shop, haha).  I'm aiming for a very rustic theme, old barnwood and tin.  Probably be post and pier, frame made out of metal.

Any advice or good plans out there?   Anyone build something similar?  We will be building this ourselves.  

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

lillybean

Amanda_931

Take a look at the smallest of John's Little Houses.  Extremely easy to build, could put a porch on it without much trouble.    

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings.html

Depending on which way that long expanse of shop goes you could also put a pergola with grape vines.

Or get an artist to do you a mural!

;)

spinnm

I can see it!  Smallest of John's is too small.

I'd suggest a larger one.  Reason the peaks are so tall is that there's generally a loft....but you can omit the loft and make the pitch anything that you want.  A 6:12 makes a nice old-timey look and wouldn't overpower the shop.

Smallish porch on the gable end or....what I'd do...is run the porch down the long side.  Any of John's plans can be lengthened however far you want to go.  Change the width and you've changed the building.

We're going to do the same thing.  14x24.

glenn-k

The Enchilada plan set includes the plan Shelley mentioned along with side porch plans and a lot more.

jonseyhay

Here you go lillybean,
Go for the builder's cottage. Get rid of the windows in the Kitchen and put in a light proof vent. You now have a darkroom. Take up photography and photograph the plants you grow. Get rid of the bath and put in a small bench with coffee making facilities now you have a studio.  Use trusses and drop the roof down to whatever pitch you need, forget about the loft. Simple ply cladding like the victoria cottage. Given good scavenging skill you should be able to build this for next to nothing. Look here  http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/acq.html

jonesy.
 ;)

spinnm

Cruising my old Fine Home Buildings today and saw a cool idea for a large gable end porch on a small outbuilding, studio, guest house, whatever.

Rafters from the main house were simply continued...quite a ways...looks to be 12-14'.

Cross pieces were spaced 1x6s (I'm guessing).
Created a filtered shade lattice look and a large gable end porch without a lot of complicated building.  This one appealed to me 'cause I want at least a 6' opening for tools, wheel barrows and the like.  Thinking about doing that with 2 3'0" doors done with barn door hardware on one of the long sides.

lillybean

Thanks for all the wonderful replies!!  You guys sure gave me a lot to think about.  I really do appreciate it!   :)

Been reading and finding pics up a storm.  I'm very excited about this project.  Is there a place on here where people post pics of their cabins?  I'd love to get more ideas of what to plant and things I may need for my cabin.  Going to be hitting the thrift shops and flea markets for some furnishings.  My husband is wanting to build some of the furniture for that rustic feel.  This project may take a while, lol.  I'll be around a lot.   ;D

lillybean

glenn-k

Pictures are various places throughout the forum.  Here is a link to some Harkins posted.  They did a really nice job.

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1110145722

Another nice job by Larry
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=253999&ck=

While not one of John's cabins, if you want to see rustic, check out my Underground Cabin.  You may get some ideas.  Weird ideas, but still ideas. ;D

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1107141843

lillybean, we have a lot of great posters here, always willing to help if they can-  I'm sure you'll enjoy the support for your project.

Glenn