Help - Interior layout for 14x24!

Started by rayn, April 16, 2005, 08:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayn

Yikes!

I found a site with funiture outlines scaled to match the little house plans.  Thought laying out the approximate funiture location would help in decided where to put doors and windows,  but whoa  I can't fit all the stuff I thought of as necessities.

Anybody have a nice working furniture layout for the 14x24?  I was hoping to fit:

- small galley kitchen
 - small w/c (toilet and sink)
 - table for 6 (realize I might have to go for 4)
 - hoping for two couches with a coffee table
 - room for a woodstove

The gallary has nice photos of exteriors,  maybe there should be a call for finished interiors.

Thanks for any ideas.

jonseyhay

Hi rayn,
I assume we are talking Johns little house plan here. My thoughts would be to move the stove to the corner and put a slider in that wall. Build a deck along the full length that could later be turned into a sunroom or sleep out if you are so inclined. The slider doesn't encroach into the room, giving a little more usable space. As for the table, maybe a drop leaf or extendable would work, i.e. (small until you need it).  With the deck side facing south and the overhang set for the best solar gain you would maybe get away with a small gas heater, don't forget good insulation. Hope this is of some use to you.
jonesy
PS check the scale of your furniture parts. Alternatively, you could measure what you already have and draw your own.
Have a look here, a real nice little house with interior pics. http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1110145722

Amanda_931

I live in an 8 x 24 foot travel trailer.  It's got the galley kitchen, a full bath (shower in a shallow 4-foot tub) tiny bedroom, couch in a truly dreadful location, dining booth suitable for 4.  No room for non-built-in furniture.  But you've got around five extra feet .  (I've got--oooohh! 2 1/2 inch walls including inner and outer surface)

With that extra 5 or 6 feet you should have enough room to get everything in nicely.  Even a tiny wood stove, although a built-in Rumford fireplace (or woodstove insert in a fireplace) might give you more in the way of clearance.

Bedroom at the front end roughly 8x8 (the bed is a "short queen--length of a full), with a tiny closet, overhead dresser, windows on three sides plus a skylight.  It closes off from the rest of the trailer with a curtain.  8x14 sounds like a giant bedroom to me.

In the back is the bathroom--toilet sink and shower "tubette" with a good sized closet the same size as the shower.  No windows, but another skylight. Roughly 8 x 4.  A slightly longer trailer puts bunk beds where the closet is, rearranging the bathroom a bit.

That gives me almost 12 feet for the main room.  Kitchen takes up around 7 feet of one long wall.  The dining booth a little over 6 on the other one.

Might go look at some travel trailer layouts, walking through them works better than looking at the layout, but...

From this page, you can choose which of their brands to look at (the Makos are really worth looking at, nice and bright lots of room--but they're classed as luxury towables):

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/conquest/conquesttow/index.htm#  

But here are the conquest floor plans--it didn't seem to want to show.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/conquest/conquesttow/floorplans.htm

Mine's very much like the one on the upper right.  The 24FBS might give you some more ideas for expansion in that length.

Especially if you do a screen porch.  Screen porches are nice!  and in my part of the country, usable for most of the year.

Amanda_931

I hadn't realized that the house that Jonsey linked to was 14 x 24.

You can see the compromises, but it works pretty well.  They did use a real staircase up to the loft bedroom.  Good idea, in my opinion.  And it leaves them with a fair amout of room that can only be used for storage.  Not a bad idea, may avoid having those areas removed as storage, and the resultant clutter EVERYWHERE!

Bart_Cubbins

Rayn, could you post a link to that website you found? thanks

DavidLeBlanc

Here are some pics of a cottage whose interior is very nearly the same size as a 14'x24' cottage:
http://www.syncronos.com/Picturetour1.html       (click the little green arrows)

(Worth noting is that the bathroom is outside the 14x24 footprint in a lean-to off the kitchen.)

You can always make the 14x24 a 14x28 or....: you can make it longer, but not wider, unless you buy Victoria's Cottage plans or the Universal Cottage plans from John.

Amanda_931

Hmmmm.  that's the house in the DVD (video) Building with Awareness.

The concrete floor goes all the way to the end.  There is built-in storage under that raised wooden floor.

jraabe

This is a great DVD by the way. I am working my way through it now and there is a lot of good construction and design information. Almost 3 hours of video and then a slide show as well. Covers a rubble trench footing (much the same as the Little House post and pier method), adobe, cob, strawbale as well as post and beam and stud framing.

In addition this 800sf house put in a rain water collection system and a PV electrical system.

Building with Awarenesshttp://www.buildingwithawareness.com/ — by designer and filmmaker Ted Owens.

Now, more to the point of working out your own interior layouts. Get a $6 copy of 3D Home Architect ver3. It is easy to learn and you can build a simple model of the 14x24 (or almost any of the house plans on this site) and then move windows, doors, interior partitions and furniture around at will. You do interior perspectives by dragging an eyeball icon in the direction you want to look. Furniture can be resized and you can fake just about anything you could put in the house. (The program doesn't have people surprisingly, but I've used a potted cactus plant and adjusted the height and width to simulate a very boring person).

Here's a link for the program: http://www.planetcdrom.com/cgi-bin/shop?cat=1220&cid=14608533-1269630390&cpg=1&offer=pc12718

The above image is from an 18' wide studio house I was modeling.

spinnm

Like your stair placement very much John.  Not so overpowering.

Daddymem

Pick me! Pick me! I wanna be a cactus person!
Do you use shrubs for the more...."robust" people?  :P

Nice looking transom windows.

jraabe

You can adjust the "girth", height and color of cactus people but not their personality. :-/

Daddymem

QuoteYou can adjust the "girth", height and color of cactus people but not their personality. :-/

Dang! Guess Mommymem is SOL.