Roofing 16/12 pitched Roof?

Started by rwalter, April 15, 2005, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwalter

Well, I pretty much decided on for a cabin that I want to build the only problem is that it has a very steep pitched roof. I used 3d Architect to design the house and based the roof of John's help page.

http://www.countryplans.com/3dha/Roofs/Providence/Providence.htm

The only difference is I have the dormer on only 1 side of the house and have lowered the pitch slightly. My question is what pitfalls should I try to avoid when roofing this and what tips can any one give me regarding roofing a cabing with this type of design. The current design calls for a 16/12 pitched roof. Am I crazy for designing such a steep roof? I really like the look that it gives though.

jonseyhay

Make sure you've got a good grip. At my age, even a flat roof makes the old knees wobbly.
jonesy.
 ;D

Amanda_931

Hire someone, both to sheath and roof?

Although in the video (DVD!) Building with Awareness the distance up was so short that they had very little problem with a pretty steep roof.  

I thought I saw a harness in use even there.

welcome back jonesey

My toes get tingly when I'm on a roof.  It's not pleasant in case you were wondering.

glenn-k

I don't think you'll roof it standing up without help.

I'm not saying anything, Amanda :o

jraabe

Now to some extent as a roof gets really steep it gets easier to roof rather than harder.

It becomes more like siding and can be done standing up on a scaffold.

The key to this roof will be setting up the staging, roof jacks, scaffolding or hydraulic boom truck that will put you in the right position to do this safely.

rwalter

John,

Thanks, I already got several pair of roof jacks, a pair ladder jacks and planking to set up. I am going to have help doing this also. I planning on hiring several of the local amish builders to help. I also have several family members who will help. I'll have to look into some scaffolding to I guess.