Framing Code

Started by Shelley, January 23, 2006, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Friend asked me if he could build his shop (metal sided, 3:12 pitch, minimal snow load) with 2x4s, 24" centers, 1x4s horizontal every 24" to nail the steel).

I said "no".  He said that they gave him a permit.  What I've learned from my own experience around here is that there's really no "plan check".  They take your $$ and correct your mistakes at inspection.

Anyway, my books are packed away.  Can someone tell me what the IRC says about this exactly?  Not a residence, so the R19 thing is not applicable.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

John Raabe

I can't speak for the IRC but this is rather standard for a utility building, shed, barn, etc. Pole buildings often do something similar. You don't have much racking resistance so this is not expected to stand up the way a residential building would. Also, you don't have much of a weather or insect screen do you? Not expected to have anything but minimal insulation. Doesn't mean people don't build them this way and then move in.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jens

I think I read somewhere that in the International Building Codes (what we now use, to the best of my knowledge) it states that 24" OC framing may be used on a single story building, or on the top floor of a multi story building.  This style of framing you describe does not however address shear load, which is usually taken up by the sheathing.  In many areas it is acceptable to run shear panels from the corner to 4' in (width of a sheet), and then at certain intervals.  At the very least, I would suggest let-in bracing, of 1x4, or steel strapping to counteract these forces.  That is the way it was done for years before sheet goods were widely accepted.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Shelley

Thanks guys, will let him know.  I wouldn't do it that way....specially since we have class 1 hurricane winds here in the spring.
It's a dry heat.  Right.