The right way to do stucco

Started by John Raabe, January 28, 2010, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Some folks may be considering stone or stucco as a siding material. These long lasting durable materials have to be installed right to live up to their billing... or you can get moisture problems like this.

Notice the interior plastic vapor barrier which made this problem even worse since the wall couldn't dry to the inside.

The key to success with stucco is to use two layers of building paper to break the bond between the wall and the stucco and to provide some air movement and drainage behind the stucco.

This might be a simple inexpensive way to get a drainage plane behind other types of siding as well. Just roll out and staple up a 2nd layer of 15# felt.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Good stuff John. I learned about the two layers of felt from an old Italian concrete and stucco guy a half century ago. They lived next door and I watched them prepare  and complete my Mom & Dad's house for stucco.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

How about 1 layer of building paper and 1 layer of the chicken-wire stucco lath with the paper already on it.  Seems that would fill the bill?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.