Finger Lakes, Ny 24x24 build. Need advice

Started by pjb153, March 09, 2013, 05:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjb153

I am currently in the finish framing stages of my 24x24 with an 8/12 pitch in the Finger Lakes, ny region. Photos will be shown below to help show whee I am at and help you give me advice on where to go.

First, let me say that we are under a budget. We need inexpensive solutions and overall best for the build solutions.

We plan to frame a 10x11 bedroom, hallway and 10x8 bathroom. A loft above all of that which will be 10x24.

The living room and kitchen will be shared space at 14x24.

I need advice on two issues.

#1 I need a place for a 30 gal electric water heater, bladder tank and filters. How big of an area do I need? It may be worth while framing a 8x8 utility room out the side.

#2 the headroom in the loft became an issue with code. The reads that we need at least 50% of the area to be 7ft and no height lower than 5ft. I am thinking of framing out a dormer, but not sure with the 8/12 pitch it will do any good. A shed dormer at a 4/12 pitch would leave me a 5ft wall on the outside of the shed.

I can lower ate ceiling in the lower level to 7' 3", but I am not sure I want to make that sacrifice. Do I just call the loft storage and leave it be? Do I frame a design I may not be thinking of?

More issues may come up! But this will get me started. Here are some pics.

Thanks

SouthernTier

w*  Another upstate NYer!
Quote from: pjb153 on March 09, 2013, 05:48:24 PM
#2 the headroom in the loft became an issue with code. The reads that we need at least 50% of the area to be 7ft and no height lower than 5ft. I am thinking of framing out a dormer, but not sure with the 8/12 pitch it will do any good. A shed dormer at a 4/12 pitch would leave me a 5ft wall on the outside of the shed.

I can lower ate ceiling in the lower level to 7' 3", but I am not sure I want to make that sacrifice. Do I just call the loft storage and leave it be? Do I frame a design I may not be thinking of?
I had a similar situation in my design (luckily still in design phase, not yet constructed).   As I could see it, adding a dormer wouldn't help.  Sure you are adding more space over 7', but you are also adding more total space greater than 5', and therefore adding the higher headroom at the same ratio as you have before, so it would be the situation of running for something but never catching up.

I had originally designed a 10/12 pitch roof, but I did some trig, and determined the only way to meet the code requirements of 50% greater than 7' was to go to a 10.5/12 pitch (and I lowered the ceiling under the loft).  This probably isn't the answer you are looking for since you already have the roof framed.

The only other solution to meet the code (other than calling it storage as you suggest) is to wall off with knee walls some of the area that is greater than 5' tall.  All the floor area with clearance greater than 5' counts toward the total floor area.  So possibly by knee-walling off at the 6' headroom (or whatever - got to do the math) you can reduce the floor space such that the percentage >7' will be more than 50%.

Admitedly that is a dumb thing to have to do to meet code.

pjb153

I think rather than try to lower the lower level headroom and still not gain enough in the loft, I may call it storage.

I realize it is not a true second story. There will be an egress Window and spiral stair to code.