Gets a little confusing on a Ridge Beam & Rafters!

Started by Willy, February 13, 2008, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

OK still doing research on this and see that the 2X10s are OK for the span but in the pictures they show the rafters on top of the beam with a small ridge board in the middle of the rafters? Isn't it OK to use steel hangers and attach them to the sides instead? I am drawing up some changes and did not want red flags or drawings to be wrong big time when I take them in to be approved. They talk about the rafters sitting on the top with a level mounting pad. Won't it work the same being conected to the sides on a beam?? This is a shed roof building but has a 6 ft roof coming off the top edge going over the porch.  I think part of my problem is this is not a regular double pitched rafter ceiling but 2 seperate roofs and a beam/header holding up part of them and a wall on the rest. There is no ridge board on this building. They cross each other at the top of the wall and both tie into the top of this outside wall. I just want to have a larger opening in the wall like you would a door or window. Mark

ScottA

glenn kangiser

I don't think it will be a problem, Mark.  The hangers are rated for the load.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 16, 2008, 10:51:44 AM
I don't think it will be a problem, Mark.  The hangers are rated for the load.
Well since there rated and I also thought so I will cross my fingers and let the inspector see my drawings. It isn't like I paid $400.00 for them I did it myself one night and can change them again if needed. Mark

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on February 16, 2008, 10:46:54 AM
Willy do you have a plan posted someplace?
I have this these 2 pictures I can post. I have added a loft above the kitchen/bathroom area. The drawing one the roof will be raised 2 ft higher on the 10 ft area above the kitchen/bath area and the roof line will go the full length over the porch but be 12/12 on the raised part to meet at the gutter/eave edge. This porch overhang will become storage with access from the loft. Part of the porch roof will become loft and that is the part I will be using the beam to hold up the rafters with. Mark

This picture shows a single floor but now it is 2 story and a window is added upstairs for egress reasons.