Furniture and bedding: critter proofing

Started by db4570, March 10, 2008, 07:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db4570

I'm glad I found this forum. It looks like I may be taking over a family property that has gone unused and essentially abandoned for at least 12 years, maybe more. So chances are I'll be coming here for advice a lot for a while!

It's up in the woods of northern New York, in a very rural wooded area. There is a very nice big cabin there, that's in decent shape. The cabin seems to always have been about 90% finished. But it's good and solid, weather proof, with a full walk-out basement. No electricity or real plumbing.

A basement window had fallen out (another issue unto itself) a couple years ago, making the cabin open to the wild for that time. The place has some sort of critters that seem to have moved in, but haven't really destroyed the place. There is a bit of a critter smell in the basement, and there are a couple of spots upstairs where insulation has been pulled out some, or a little chewing has gone on in the corner, etc. If I had to guess, I would guess squirrels or chipmunks, because the damage doesn't look disastrous like I picture raccoon or opossum damage would be.

We are planning on throwing away anything fabric- rugs, bedding, upholstered furniture, etc. We were probably going to do this anyway, critters or not, just because it was old and musty and gross. We'll probably keep the place pretty rustic looking as far as furniture is concerned. But until we are sure the critters have moved on, we don't want to put new stuff in there that may end up becoming bedding for them. We will probably use the place sporadically- maybe a few long weekends in a row, then it may sit vacant for a month, then we may use it again for a few days, then it could be 4 or 6 months unused, etc.

At first we thought we'd maybe just have un-upholstered seating and perhaps air beds or something similar we could just lock away or take with us when we leave. But that's not what we really want. I realize that we may never get every last mouse out of the place, which hopefully isn't a real big deal unless they get really destructive. But the big guys obviously have to go.

So, first- how do we get the larger critters out, not even knowing what they are yet, and second, how do we keep new upholstery from getting chewed or made into a rodent motel in the future?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

David

MountainDon

w* db4570     The only thing rodent proof is steel and concrete.   ;D

The larger trespassers will likely vacate the premises when you move in and disturb their place.  :D They may want to return though.  >:(

But first, my primary concern would be the unseen. Specifically I'd be worried about Hantavirus. In case you've not heard of it there are some links below. It is a rare disease, only about 3 cases in NY State, I believe. But it's very nasty and definitely can kill you. It is spread by deer mice, specifically their dropping and urine.

Cleaning up a place like you describe could be hazardous unless proper precautions were taken. So use caution, clean it up good, do what repairs are needed to seal up the entry points, etc. Then enjoy the place. Do you have pictures. We love pictures and watching the metamorphosis would be  [cool].

Read, the links below... I'd say the process would be to dispose of everything not being kept. Then a clean up, immediately followed by a thorough rodent proofing.

Hantavirus info:
NY specific
http://www.health.state.ny.us/press/releases/1999/hanta99.htm
http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/hantavirus/fact_sheet.htm

other
http://www.hantavirus.net/
http://www.doh.wa.gov/EHSPHL/factsheet/hanta.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/phys/technicalinfoindex.htm

Link on CountryPlans
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3268.msg36353#msg36353

And finally the National Parks Rodent Exclusion Manual link
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2919.0

PS.... is the 4570 in db4570 a random choice or a caliber? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

4570???  I'm hoping for chambering!

Regarding getting the critters out, we used to start a charcoal fire in a small grill, then we'd drop red pepper flakes onto the charcoal and get out.  It worked well for getting wasps out of the cabin when I was a kid.

Regarding the hantavirus, they say to be liberal with the bleach.  There may be another way to do that as well, and also get rid of the musty critter smell. 

See if you can rent / borrow / steal an ozone generator.  If you can't find one, let me know and I'll provide instructions on how to make one.  If you set it up and let it run for 4 to 6 hours in your basement, I bet that it fixes 99% of the odor, and will also kill off any bacterial nasties in the area.  One word of caution though... the nice fresh smell of ozone is actually the smell of your nasal tissues oxidizing.  But it will cleanse the are nicely.  But you'll need 120AC to run it.

Okay, another word of caution.... ozone will also degrade any rubber products, so take those out before running the thing.

It also works great for cleansing a used vehicle of any funky smell, smoke included.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Frank, you can't simply dangle the fact that you can tell us/me how to make an ozone generator and leave it at that! I have a need to know. I'm not sure why, but I do.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

db4570

Wow-

I thought I had a basic pest question and suddenly we're talking hideous viruses, clouds of noxious smoke, and poison gasses! I'll never be able to breathe in this place again by the time I'm finished!  [scared]

BTW, yes 4570 is a caliber- not my favorite, but I needed a number that wasn't too random for me to remember, and 4570 has a nice ring to it. Hmm.. a 4570 might just take care of my problem, though...

Seriously- I appreciate the ideas so far. I'll have to read up on Hanta virus. For some reason I thought it was a Western state thing.

All right- let's say I am able to clear the varmints out somehow. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to keep larger ones (squirrels, etc.) out in the future if I am vigilant about sealing it up now? I always assumed it's almost impossible to keep regular mice out completely- how about squirrels? My concern is that it will be vacant possibly for months at a time, and thus they might get bolder than normal.

Thanks for the help!

David

MountainDon

Quote from: db4570 on March 10, 2008, 11:23:15 PM
I'll have to read up on Hanta virus. For some reason I thought it was a Western state thing.

I always assumed it's almost impossible to keep regular mice out completely- how about squirrels?

Hantavirus had a newsworthy event here in NW New Mexico in 1993. There was a good sized outbreak brought on by a perfect set of weather related circumstances. It's still probably more of a concern here (& AZ, UT) than elsewhere, but.....   We've just had a fatal case, first this year. The good news is the doctors are more aware of the disease.

Hantavirus has been around a long time, but because instances are relatively rare, deaths were not necessarily noted.  It is interesting though that there are old Navajo stories about not allowing mice to run around the house... they might "take the breath away".

I believe if you're diligent in inspecting the building you can prevent most critter access. The NP Manual has a lot of info.  Mice are the most difficult because of their ability to squeeze through narrow spaces.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on March 10, 2008, 10:27:08 PM
Frank, you can't simply dangle the fact that you can tell us/me how to make an ozone generator and leave it at that! I have a need to know. I'm not sure why, but I do.

Okay... here you go....

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4180.0
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"